Which House Pls (Pics)

• 44 Replies

webwahm

• Experienced Member
    • Allotment Diary - Kids Stuff
Which House Pls (Pics)
« on: December 16, 2009, 00:18 »
 :blink: Think I have hen house blindness...

Spent hours, and hours...and hours looking at different houses this week in readiness for adopting some ex-batts (min 3 but hopefully 6 so I'm looking at larger coops)

I must've changed my mind a dozen times about which type to go for - ultimately I want to build a large aviary type run (on allotment), but need something to put me on.

9 Bird version - didn't want felt roof after reading about red mite, but this has one of the biggest run sizes and is off the ground with a decent height, so could I remove the felt and use something else?  Says its within RSPCA guidelines and seems a good size.

http://www.feelgooduk.net/62-egg-ark-9-all-in-one-chicken-coop-run-set.html

I like this because it's big - up to 13 birds - and the run is largest I've seen.  Just not very high?  Plus it's close to the ground...vermin?  Damp?

http://www.henhouseworld.co.uk/ch105.htm

Or this, smaller though, 5-6 birds, but again felt roof and low to ground

http://www.thepetpads.co.uk/index.php?page_type=show_image&img=PP+suffolk+Coop+2+web.jpg

*dizzy head*  ???
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 00:22 by webwahm »

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: Which House Pls (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:20 »
The last image with the biggest run looks best for run size.  The problem is that unless you can easily move any of them the run area will get VERY muddy and dirty with poo in a surprisingly short space of time. The ground could get a build up of parasites over time too.
I had an area probably 3 times the size of the biggest run and within a yr it was trashed, I had to keep adding more and more bark and eventually moved the hens, I had 4 hens!

RSPCA guidelines really refer to bear minimum space the hen needs but I personally think that those runs shown would not suit more than 2 full size birds and even then you will get the mud after a while if it can't be moved.  I would not use the 1st one at all, the run will be nearly full once the food and water containers are in there, the hens would soon get bored and could develop bad habits like feather pecking.

The house on the floor would be best put on slabs to stop rats digging under it, (they will otherwise)

The hen house itself is really only for sleeping and laying so space isn't such an issue.  Height in the run isnt too much of an issue, hens stay pretty much on the ground, it's getting in to clean it or get to food and water that you need to think about.

I think it best to have a double area that can be used in rotation to give ground a rest and a chance for the grass to grow back. 

I would recommend NOT to over stock, it's just as nice seeing 2  or 3 hens scratching about as it is to see 6!

Good luck though, hen keeping is lovely.  :)
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

matilda duck

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:22 »
DON'T go for the first one it's an absolute no no! I have 2 banties in mine and that's all it's good for! 
I like the last one!  What sort of room do you have?  The reason I ask is I have converted my old shed!  It's a brilliant idea and there's plenty of room!  If you are diy good, make your own!  Far cheeper than any of those will be and you can adapt it to suit YOU!
Word of warning always put your hen house off the ground! Keeps it in good condition longer and keeps furry creatures out!
Hope any of that helps and I havnt confused you too much!  Oh and well done for asking first!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 09:12 »
Hi, i agree with the others, the last one looks the best out the bunch, but that run is not big enough for 6ex-batts. You are going to have to crawl in on yout hands and knees to clean up the food, poop etc from thr run floor. Like others have said with the coop so close to the floor you will get vermin chewing their way in so make sure its put on slabs...it does make you dizzy dosent it ;)
None of my houses have felt roofs because red mite love hiding in there....so i would be tempted to rip the roof off and replace it with coroline...it would give the house ventilation as it dosent look like it has that either :(...after lots of research, i gave up and built my own, like MD at least you have wat YOU want that way :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:18 by dizzylizzie »

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:22 »
Hi again, ive found this...hope it works.It the house in the top picture, and it gives you more of an idea of how big it is and how decieving the photos are...
http://www.keeping-chickens.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/chicken-house-chicken-run.jpg
hope it helps a bit :)

webwahm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:23 »
 :unsure:  I think the pic for last one might be deceiving, it's actually the smallest run.  

1st = 28sq feet (but measurement did include nestbox)
2nd = 24sq feet
3rd = 20sq feet

Interesting to see these are all 6+ birds but, as me, you think they're not big enough...but I'm saying '6' because I'd like to try save as many as I can from slaughter.

Can't really move it around that much because it's on an Allotment, and like I say I'm going to create an aviary in the end anyway.  These are just temporary.

This was on my shortlist too - but only 21sq feet...

"up to 6 small Chickens, 4 light breeds and 3 large/heavy birds; if they are allowed to free range daily. If they are to be permanently housed the number of birds which it can house is: 3 small chickens, 2 light and large/heavy birds"

webwahm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:27 »
Hi DizzyLizzie - that pic is the smallest one - the one I've posted is the 9 bird and much bigger than those little ones you see so many of...

carolbriar

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 09:29 »
An alternative would be to go for the house on its own - looks quite big - then build your own run round it.  That's what we did.  I am new to keeping hens as well and one of the things with our house is that it is not as easy to clean out as some which is a nuisance.  We bought wire from Hills of Devon who were very good (weld mesh) and have a run of 35 mtrs in circumference with 5 hens.  We've also managed to enclose two  trees in it and the girls love pecking around the base of them.  We often see them around the bottom of the trees.  They are not really bushy or anything but seem to be very popular!  :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

webwahm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:31 »
Yes...building my own is becoming the most tempting option!!!

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 09:44 »
Honastly, i built my own, never built anything before, but i managed...was dead proud of my self too!
other options, what about a kennel with run?...just a thought :D

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:49 »
They are all rubbish, and run sizes all equate to roughly 6.5foot X 5foot.

When thinking about getting chooks, there are 4 things I always consider
1. Safety - how fox/vermin proof are they? Think about bolts, latches, thickness of wood.
2. Size - use a conversion chart -it is essential to remember that defra guidelines are a "minumum" 1foot sq for accomodation per bird or 1metre sq for run space - however, 2metre square will reduce a lot of potential problems in the future.
3. Durabiltiy and convenience - for cleaning out, getting in and doors not warping or letting water in.

These cheap imported products are awful, wont last 5minutes and I am sick and tired of the incredibly misleading adverts! 9 bird, but RSPCA says six?? oh they mean the house not the run which is suitable for errr 2 maybe??? what does that really tell you about them???

Get a cheap and cheerful shed, pop it on slabs and buy/ make sectional panels. Gravel boards around the edge and ask a tree surgeon to fill up with wood chip for free for you. Dig it out every month or so, give it to your fellow allotmenters  to fill their composts bins up ;)

Maybe Karlooben would be kind enough to post a few picces of her set up, it is absolutely fantastic and built on a shoe string :lol:

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 09:53 »
Have a look at this thread good info on how to build your own :happy:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=32947.0

dizzylizzie

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 09:54 »
We bought our mesh from hils of devon, also very pleased with them :lol:. The thing is, none of these houses are suitable for 6 hens....i know they tell you they are, but really....quail maybe...and dont even get me started on RSPCA welfare standards, after all the RSPCA allow battery farming to happen! they are not well made and you will have wasted 2oo quid that could be put to good use on meterials. if they were £50 , then id say as a temp measure go for it, but its a lot of money to spend on a temp measure when they are not even very good quality IMHO... Im sooo glad you are taking the time to do all this research an ask from people who have experiance. So many people have wasted money buying rubbish coops that are really bad for the hens,  :D

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 09:54 »
Another altenative is to go to a local independant shed stockist/manufacturer where they will be cheaper than your B&Q jobbies and they will add roosting poles, ventilation and any other modifications for you - or at least that's what I have just managed to do and some of them will make the run for you as well and that way you can get it to measure. I also have a cheap jobbie in the garden with underrun (they free range though so the run is more an emergency measure) and it is already warped after only a year and that's with me having treated it on two occassions.

Where about are you located webwham?

Foxy

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:00 »
Another altenative is to go to a local independant shed stockist/manufacturer where they will be cheaper than your B&Q jobbies and they will add roosting poles, ventilation and any other modifications for you - or at least that's what I have just managed to do and some of them will make the run for you as well and that way you can get it to measure. I also have a cheap jobbie in the garden with underrun (they free range though so the run is more an emergency measure) and it is already warped after only a year and that's with me having treated it on two occassions.

Where about are you located webwham?

Thats a great idea, they're are so many people just on your doorstep which would be delighted to have your custom I'm sure! :D :D

xx
DIY Hen House..Pics!

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 19:47
by rcandy2001
xx
Pics of house & pen - If I can get this ** thing to work!!!!!!!

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 16:55
by Flowerpower136
xx
New Chicken house - pics as promised

Started by alibean on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 22:34
by hazelize_uk
xx
What do you think of this Hen House?

Started by gsc on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 14:57
by nicky d

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 32 queries.