Treats for the girls?

• 12 Replies

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
Treats for the girls?
« on: September 16, 2011, 16:19 »
I have just been reading on here that you shouldnt give grass clippings and bread to your chickens.  Mine occasionally have both.  They have a cup of mixed corn in the evenings ( aswell as layers pellets).  How would I know if they had an impacted crop and what is an impacted crop?

bantam novice

Re: Treats for the girls?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 18:56 »
Hello ChristyRose,
Impacted crop is when a piece of long grass or something similar blocks the chicken's gullet and they can get quite poorly as a result.   They will have an enlarged crop that could feel squidgy or fibrous.  You will need to hold the hen upside down and gently massage the crop.  They will regurgitate liquid.  You can then try some olive oil and this might help clear the blockage.  If it doesn't you will need a vet.

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 19:17 »
Here's the sticky that Aunt Sally posted in the Poultry faqs -

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.0

If you scroll about half way down, there's plenty of info on crop problems.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 19:59 »
I think with treats its everything in moderation  :happy:  and remembering that they are only little so only need little treats!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 22:42 »
I think with treats its everything in moderation  :happy:  and remembering that they are only little so only need little treats!

I totally agree.  I like to experiment on my chickens and give them all kinds of little things just to see if they will like them.  But nothing becomes part of their regular diet, and each chicken only gets a tiny bit.

Ocasionally I have a whole slice of bread left over (e.g. toast that got forgotten in the toaster).  As I have six pullets, in total they each get 1/6 of the slice of bread, so that's not a lot per bird.

The keepers at my local park have a serious problem with people bringing bread to feed the ducks, geese and swans.  Every year they get birds with crop problems as a result, and they plead with people not to feed bread to the birds. Of course who can resist?

When I used to visit the ducks I would take a small bag of oats for them.  Now I have chickens, I will probably take them some chicken food.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 15:16 »
My girls get for treats an assortment of, mixed corn, live maggots and raisins or sultanas, soaked.
I keep the maggots in a fridge in the garage and 1/2pt costs £1.20 and lasts ages. Much more economical than buying live meal worms from Pets at Home at £2.49 for a small amount.
Is it ok to give a small amount of porridge oats (uncooked) as I have them in the cupboard
Also what is the best way to make them porridge, for in the winter.
thanks

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 16:28 »
Anndee, my chooks get mash made out of their layers pellets  8)  Just add some hot water to the pellets, leave till soaked and slightly cooled then let them have it!  I sometimes add a few treats such as a tablespoon of dried mealworms or a few grapes/ raisins/ frozen sweetcorn. 

Only problem is that they have me well trained at demand their mash at 6pm every evening  ::)  They always eat it all... I have it split into two (metal dog) bowls so everyone gets some.   :tongue2:

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 22:58 »
Mine usually get the veg peelings on a Sunday from preparing dinner, but not the potato peelings.
They have their mash in the morning & treats in the afternoon when I go check on them.
I have the cut & come back lettuce on the allotment for them & every 3 or 4 days I squash an Apple or Pear for them to have. The odd snail gets tossed in when I find them.
They sometimes get a whole cabbage which is hung in their run.
In the winter I give them warm porridge made with water which they go mad for.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 11:06 »
I give mine a hot treat sometimes when it's really cold of pellets mashed with hot water, a bit of corn, some dried mealworms and a bit of fishy cat food all mixed together.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 12:58 »
Ooohhh I wouldn't have thought of the fishy cat food. I wonder if some tinned dog food would be ok instead?

helens-hens

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 13:17 »
Ooohhh I wouldn't have thought of the fishy cat food. I wonder if some tinned dog food would be ok instead?

Possibly not. Hen owners sometimes give their hens a small amount of cat food or tinned tuna to increase their intake of protein (e.g. to help them get over the moult).

Dog food has different levels of protein (less I think) so may not be advisable. Personally I would leave out any treats containing meat/fish apart from possibly the fish for getting over a moult. They are omnivores so will catch stuff when allowed to free range but I would leave that up to them.

Helen

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 13:43 »
I'm a mean mummy of humans & sweets were few and far between.   I try to be the same with the chickens so I rarely buy maggots or mealworms etc, but the girls happily view all that drops in their run as treats while I'm thinking it's staple diet!

Layers pellets always available.  Most days, they get the previous evenings' veg peelings/trimmings from our supper (boiled or microwaved if potato) plus a few (veg or carb) plate scraps only the dogs get most of that.

Every time we walk towards the run, we pull a handful of weeds: bindweed, dandelion, milkthistle, etc and chuck that in.  Plus a rhubarb leaf to shred once in a while or a tomato plant when they're pulled up at the end of the season.

It's small amounts and big variety to help them keep busy.

Only when I was worming them did I realise how much pellets this mixed feeding saves - they're all healthy, busy and laying daily, but ate nearly twice as much pellets when they didn't get the other stuff.
ManicMum

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 22:53 »

Possibly not. Hen owners sometimes give their hens a small amount of cat food or tinned tuna to increase their intake of protein (e.g. to help them get over the moult).

Dog food has different levels of protein (less I think) so may not be advisable. Personally I would leave out any treats containing meat/fish apart from possibly the fish for getting over a moult. They are omnivores so will catch stuff when allowed to free range but I would leave that up to them.

If you're thinking of feeding dog or cat food (I don't) then take the time to read the nutritional info on the label.  You may be surprised how little protein is in these pet foods.

If you're feeding a staple diet that's 16% protein then you add cat food that's 12% protein, you are reducing the total protein in their diet, not increasing it.

Tinned tuna tends to be around 20+% protein.  Just make sure you don't use tuna in brine (far too much salt).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 22:54 by Lindeggs »

xx
Girls being wormed = no treats... greens?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 18:02
by pink-chicken
xx
Too many treats

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 17:28
by chuckie.egg
xx
Treats?

Started by LadyPluck on The Hen House

62 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 09:36
by AmandaH
xx
Treats

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 18:30
by chooksbury

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 39 queries.