Help with Pumpkins

• 6 Replies

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
Help with Pumpkins
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:56 »
I'm growing Jack O'Lantern pumkins and have planted them out as they were getting too big for the greenhouse. I place them of top of lots of well rotten manure mixed with soil in a small mound. The leaves are starting to turn yellow but did so whilst in the greenhouse. I've looked on various websites but there seems to be no one answer. Not enough water, too much, low in nitrogen, possible disease. There are no obvious markings or pests. Can anyone please advise? My sweetcorn is also quite yellow and the lower leaves of my 1ft peas seem to have dried and died off. x
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:32 by MichelleC »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Help with Pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:18 »
There often is no single answer to why plants start looking a bit sickly, but given your location and the recent weather I'd guess the pumpkins and sweetcorn are both suffering from the breezes and still quite low night temperatures (the latter could still apply inside the greenhouse over the last 2 weeks.)

If you can give them any sort of protection that would probably help; sweetcorn often go into a "pale sulk" if it's too cold for them; you'll just have to hope for warmer weather and that they cheer up.  :)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 12:28 »
I agree with JayG re the low temperatures. It is a bit early for both to be out. Mine won't see the outdoors until June.

Re the peas - lack of water? It has been very dry of late.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:35 »
Thanks for the replies. We've had some glorious weather up here but probably cold nights. I hope it is just that. Maybe I should sow the seeds a little later next year.  Will it hurt to add a little nitrogen?

bigben

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 12:37 »
When it comes to pumkins you cannot really overfeed them. Peas would also respond to a little nitrogen to get them started even though they can "fix" their own.

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 13:33 »
I'm only sowing my pumkin today! :ohmy:

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 14:46 »
Thanks for the replies. We've had some glorious weather up here but probably cold nights. I hope it is just that. Maybe I should sow the seeds a little later next year.  Will it hurt to add a little nitrogen?

As above, not too late to sow another batch this week (or next).  So no need to wait until next year.  My second batch will be sown into pots (ok, toilet roll tubes) this week in case the first batch (sown too early and now out-growing 9" pots) don't take kindly to being transferred out to the plot.

xx
pumpkins pumkins and more pumpkins

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2019, 23:30
by Flowertot
xx
Pumpkins, pumpkins and more squahses

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 10:32
by WG.
xx
Pumpkins

Started by Grinin'Reaper on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 17, 2007, 18:06
by WG.
xx
pumpkins!

Started by chopper on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 14:44
by chopper

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 33 queries.