Celeriac

• 5 Replies

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Celeriac
« on: October 18, 2007, 20:20 »
I was on my plot today and my celeriac doesn't seem to be getting very big.  I planted these early spring so they've had since March to grow but the root is still only ping pong ball size at best.  Will they keep growing through the autumn/winter as eventually produce something to eat?  Or should I be feeding them with anything specific.  I've put on a couple of applications of growmore throughout the summer.

gobs

Celeriac
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 20:24 »
They as all else stop growing at the end of the growing season, so that's it. :wink:

They should be very edible though, even if small. :)

* all summer, I'd say. :roll:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

splodger

Celeriac
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 20:31 »
celeriac is a hungry monster and demands very rich, moisture retentive soil - i know we have had it wet this year (but early on it was dry - they may have struggled.

i'm not sure that a couple of feedings of growmore would have been enough to feed them - you are better of with heavy on the manure and compost trenches - like you would use for celery.

if the roots haven't swollen by now - chances are they won't - but no harm chucking a mulch of muck and straw on them - just to see - you ought to cover them with straw anyway - just to keep them snug for winter  :wink:

mkhenry

Re: Celeriac
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 20:40 »
Quote from: "gregmcalister"
I was on my plot today and my celeriac doesn't seem to be getting very big.  I planted these early spring so they've had since March to grow but the root is still only ping pong ball size at best.  Will they keep growing through the autumn/winter as eventually produce something to eat?  Or should I be feeding them with anything specific.  I've put on a couple of applications of growmore throughout the summer.

Did you remove the side shoots in mid summer,also did you expose the crown by removing the lower leaves.In september you need to draw soil up around the base.

If  they are planted in a cold exposed area then you should lift them at the end of november.If not then the can stay in the ground until spring and they may swell a little more. :wink:

Cover the bases with straw to help protect them. :lol:

Next year follow the above but perhaps you could try another type. :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Celeriac
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 20:57 »
I didn't pay them much attention and this has probably added to the problem.  This is the first year I've had my plot and the soil, although having good structure in parts, isn't particularly rich.  Next year I'll be adding a lot more manure and compost so things should improve for next year's harvest.  I suppose you just live and learn.

gobs

Celeriac
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 19:58 »
I've never left them out, so I cannot comment on that, but whatever you do, please try not to waste all that lovely well flavoured foliage. They freeze just as well as any other herb and are a great kick to stocks, stews, etc. Also brilliant in tomato sauce and soup. :D

xx
Celeriac

Started by billy the pig on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 07:51
by billy the pig
xx
Celeriac

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 21:01
by strangerachael
xx
celeriac

Started by doubledug on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 11:02
by Mrs Bee
xx
Celeriac

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 19:21
by barbarella

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 28 queries.