comments and or advice please.

• 7 Replies

wildy78

comments and or advice please.
« on: August 31, 2011, 20:17 »
HELP!!!! please i am going out of my mind.

My 11 hens have almost virtually stopped laying.  I used to get an average of 5-6 every day off 7 birds i am now lucky if i get one.  There does not appear to be any big signs of moulting, the hen house is clear of red mite, they are regularly frontlined and have been recently checked for lice - none present, they were wormed with flubenvet 4 weeks ago, they have life guard in their water, none are lethargic or hunched although a couple look a bit ragged on their feathers (nothing notable) they all free range in a 20 x 15m run every day.  Anything i can do i think i have to help them live a stress free life. 

I introduced 6 new hens 4 weeks ago after 2 weeks of seperation following all being wormed (they were introduced through a fence for 2 weeks prior to this.  Now i dont expect these to be laying for a few weeks following their move ( all are about 22 weeks now)

They are all different breeds sussex, speckled, dorking, welsummer, marans the new ones are sussex, white star, plymouth rock, fenton blue and fenton rose.

Can anyone suggest what may be causing this, is it just natural? am i worrying unduly?  Have i made things too comfortable for them.   :wacko:

To top it all i have had about 3 or 4 friends/family ask me for a regular supply of eggs for them!  I think this last bit is known as SODS LAW.
1 wife, 1 daughter, 2 dogs, 1 horse, 1 Copper black maran, 1 Cherry Maran, 1 Speckled, 1 Sussex, 1 welsummer, 1 dorking, 1 silver laced wyandotte
6 new arrivals - 3 welsummers 3 barnvelder.
5 more new arrivals (pullets) - white star, fenton blue, fenton rose, plymouth rock, silver sussex

Casey76

Re: comments and or advice please.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:30 »
Hi wildy,

I would probably say it is the introduction of the new ones that has put everyone else off.  Chickens are funny things, and anything odd or new can put them off lay.

wildy78

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 20:24 »
Hi wildy,

I would probably say it is the introduction of the new ones that has put everyone else off.  Chickens are funny things, and anything odd or new can put them off lay.

thought as much but can it really affect them for so long?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 21:13 »
how old are the hens that have stopped laying? Mine have gone down from 14 a day to just 4  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 18:47 »
probably a combination of the new hens and the fact that there is poor light (despite it allegedly still being summer!)  Just comfort yourself with the fact that all hens are born with the total number of eggs they will lay predetermined, so any you dont get now you will get later!
As others have said, hens really are fickle creatures and do what they want despite our best efforts (one of mine is almost permananeltly broody, another moults constantly, another lays soft shells from time to time and another has prolapses occassionally- need I say more!!)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 18:56 »
Any chance they have been spooked by a fox or other predator?
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 21:33 »
What are they fed? Good quality pellets? Not too many treats? Do they have oyster shell/grit available?
Mine went through a slowdown but have come back to normal this week.... there's no fathoming it sometimes.

wildy78

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 21:04 »
thanks all

henamoured - they are fed good but not the most expensive pellets, a bit of corn on an afternoon to get them back into the fox proof pen, oyster shell/grit is available.  Hoping mine are just slowing down a bit.

ANHBUC - it is a possibility that a fox or other predator could have spooked them

Thanks again

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Any comments on my sad evening!!

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 09:02
by mad mark
xx
Beak trimming - comments please

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 16:17
by peggyprice
xx
Planning new coop - comments on design?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 08:51
by Casey76

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 38 queries.