baldy hen

• 8 Replies

corkee

baldy hen
« on: September 04, 2011, 20:39 »
Hi my hen has been rather bald on her next the last few months and seem to taking a while to grow back,theres no sign of mite and i cant seem to see no feather pecking is it just moult? any ideas welcome? cheers liam

tanya10

Re: baldy hen
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 21:22 »
Hi
one of our hens Flower is moulting alot her neck , head & back look horrible , but I have read alot on hens  & seen pictures of hens moulting , it can be quite disturbing when they moult , but I am sure your hens feathers will grow back soon .Good  luck , Just as I am sure Flower's feathers will grow back in their own good time  .

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 23:48 »
Yes it is probably just the moult, although the fact that she has been tis way for "a few months" might need a bit moe investigating.

Do you have a cockerel in with your hens?  Sometimes a cockerel will grab a hen by the back of her neck and pull out or break feathers.

What are you fedding them on?  Hens need the right level of protein and other nutrients to grow their feathers back after a moult, and if they are not getting the right food sometimes they can get 'stalled' in the moult.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:24 »
If there have been instances of an amorous cockerel or feather eating you should find the feathers grow back after the moult. Their feathers do not automatically renew as required :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

corkee

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 17:41 »
many thanks for replies.
no havent got a ockerel just hens,i feed then layers pellets,some corn in afternoons and greens.also every now i give them oyster shells.liam

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 23:26 »
Hmmm... well I'm stumped then!  No cockerel, and you seem to be feeding them the right foods (the staple diet of layers pellets is the key).

The only other thing I can suggest is if you post a photo here and we can try to work it out.  Otherwise just wait and see!  She will probably have a full moult soon, and you can see if her new feathers grow back.

If she is otherwise healthy and happy, it's not likely to be something to worry about.

I forgot to ask if she is laying at the moment?

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 08:59 »
also every now i give them oyster shells.liam

Not sure what you meant to write here but thought I would point out - you may already do this - oyster shell and grit should be available ad lib :)

corkee

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 10:24 »
hi yes im always scattering grit and oyster shell about the run and she seems happy and full of energy and has a nice bright comb.liam

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:10 »
I have a hen that I'm not sure if it is a moult but have seen some feather pecking going on.

I have used this http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/total-poultry-solutions-septi-clense-spray-with-violet-200ml which has helped.
Also have sprayed them with http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/anti-feather-pecking-spray-500ml which believe me tastes horrible. Don't stand down wind when you use it it  :D

I also put http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/poultry-spice in with their food every morning.

Put links in so you can see the product - hope this helps  :)

xx
Baldy hen

Started by indianrunner88 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 09:45
by Sassy
xx
baldy bottoms

Started by debsiwood on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 15:00
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Baldy Bird

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 13:40
by too many girls
xx
Fox wounds and baldy butt!

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 19:09
by nic_28

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 28 queries.