How many can I expect?

• 8 Replies

Mitchy

How many can I expect?
« on: August 24, 2008, 20:06 »
sorry if this is a daft question, but I am a daft newbie!

If I get a pack of seeds, for example brocolli, and it has 35 seeds in it, how many brocolli can I expect to get?

And is the same yield expected whatever veg I grow?

ta

Mitchy

Ice

• muck spreader
How many can I expect?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 20:14 »
Yield is open to many variables such as soil condition and the weather etc so you can't rely on the quantity of seed .  But, there are some that have far better germination than others.

Don't be afraid to ask we are all here to help.  There is no such thing as a daft question, I asked lots whan I first joined.
Cheese makes everything better.

Mitchy

How many can I expect?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 20:16 »
that's cool. I am currently browsing dobies for inspiration too!

Mitchy

How many can I expect?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 20:16 »
that's cool. I am currently browsing dobies for inspiration too!

johnhar

How many can I expect?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 21:01 »
hi mitchy
on most seed you should get 50% germination if they are sown in good conditions direct into the open soil, if you sow into seed trays of a good multi-purpose compost then you can get 75% germination if the conditions are right. there is a list in some catalogues that gives you the statuary germination rate of veg seeds, and i was allways told o take off 10% to be safe.
from 35 seeds you would expect 25 plants to use  

:D
john

Mitchy

How many can I expect?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 22:02 »
that's interesting .... i should be in for a bumper harvest in some things then!

Thanks

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
How many can I expect?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 22:09 »
I've just sown about 100 Spring Cabbage 'April' seeds and I think that most of them germinated!

I pricked out 50 or so to grow on and gave the next to my neighbour - they can prick out what they want and give the rest to their neighbour and so on until they are all gone.  I think it depends on the variety of seed (ie parsnip will be less reliable than cabbage) and on top of that it depends on the veg - ie some do better than others.

sorry, not really a definative answer to your post though  :(

Mitchy

How many can I expect?
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 22:10 »
Ah, but you have given me so much more to think about - pricking out, growing on? I think I need to get me an allotment dictionary!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
How many can I expect?
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 22:30 »
well, pricking out is when the seed has germinated and it has at least 2 seed leaves (seed leaves are the first one's to come out - the next set of leaves are normally true leaves).

You take a pencil / dibber etc and, holding the seedling by its seed leaves,  by placing the pencil etc under the seedling, gently lever the seedling out of it's original germinating place and transplant it to another seed tray or a pot that you have prepared.  Preparation only involves filling a seed tray or pot with compost and making a hole (made with your thumb or a finger is often good enough) and inserting the newly pricked out seedling into it and carefully pushing the compost back around it.  the key here is not damaging the seedling or its newly formed roots.

growing on is exactly that;  after you've pricked out the seedlings you let them grow a bit bigger whereever you have transplanted them to, so they can grow bigger before being planted in their final growing positions.

the other way of doing it (depending on the veg) is to sow where you intend the seed to germinate, and then thin them out by picking out the ones you don't want to grow to the correct spacing.  I don't do this unless I have to (ie carrots and parsnips) and I prefer to grow on and plant out when the plant is ready.

Don't be afraid to ask questions though - even the old boys on your site will have needed to ask at some point, and if you never ask, you'll never know  :wink:
You may suffer a few losses the first few times, but you'll get better at this in no time!

xx
What Should I Expect?

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 20:41
by Glen
xx
Cucumbers - not sure what to expect

Started by trimmy g on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 09:56
by mumofstig
xx
Marrow plants how many would you expect

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 10:42
by mumofstig
xx
When can I expect to harvest my sweetcorn?

Started by Wild Willow on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post September 09, 2013, 20:14
by chillimummy

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 28 queries.