Bleeding toe!!!!

• 4 Replies

Pretty Chick

Bleeding toe!!!!
« on: July 26, 2010, 17:50 »
One of our Pekin bantam's (Lucy's) toe is bleeding and looks like she's lost her nail.

What shall I do??

I'm worried it will become infected.

Many thanks in advance
All lives are precious.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Bleeding toe!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 17:54 »
Grannie Annie recently had one like that, she put a bandage on it (changed frequently) and when I saw the hen yesterday her toe was fine - she has a little crease where the injury was but apart from that she looked great. Annie really thought her hen would lose her toe as well and as she had kept it clean no infection set in. Hopefully Annie will be able to tell you more about it  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 18:04 »
You have more than your fair share of Chicken problems PC.

I think you need a good Chicken book,  Why not try "Chicken Keeper" by Alison Wilson   :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 18:36 »
You talking about me again Joy???   :D :D

Hi Pretty Chick, yes one of my young pullets had a golf ball sized lump of med and poo on her foot.  I didn't notice it because she was in with 150 others!  We removed it as gently as possible, but the toe behind the nail bled for ages.  I cleaned all her foot and put some vaseline with tea tree oil mixed in with it onto one of those dressings that doesn't stick to the skin.  It had to be small because her foot isn't very big.  then I bandaged it up.  the first time she got the bandage off, but with a bit of practice I managed to get it to stay on.  I checked it every few days, but she had a bandage on for over 2 weeks.

The whole toe was dangling, connected only by a small bit of ligament or something, but I managed to keep it straight and now like Joy said, there is only a wrinkle around the toe, but she is fine running around with her new best friend a Black Pearl which we had re-homed recently and was pecked almost bald by her other mates

I hope your girl is okay, but even if that bit of nail does come off, she should be okay as long as you can stop any infections getting in!

Pretty Chick

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 19:06 »
I think you need a good Chicken book,  Why not try "Chicken Keeper" by Alison Wilson   :)

Thanks, I'll look in to that :)

Thank you Grannie I'll try that then. Thank you for taking the time to reply in so much detail :)

xx
HELP!!!!!! bleeding hen

Started by violet on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post February 06, 2009, 10:03
by raeburg
xx
Bleeding from eye

Started by ktc on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 07:23
by sneezer
xx
Bleeding After First Egg

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 15:54
by LittleRedHen
xx
Bleeding by the claw

Started by stujem on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 10:42
by Elaine J

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 38 queries.