Tomato problem

• 9 Replies

lacaya

Tomato problem
« on: August 07, 2013, 17:50 »
Not sure if this is the right place, but could someone tell me what's wrong with my tomatoes, please?  These are three different plants. Thank you!

tom leaf 1.JPG
tom leaf 2.JPG
tom leaf 3.JPG
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 18:50 by mumofstig »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Tomato problem
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 19:08 »
Tomatoes grow very quickly (they have to in this country  ::)) so their leaves not only don't last that long but are also quick to show signs that the plant is not entirely happy.

Doesn't mean they are about to succumb to something horrible though (especially the "B" word) - hard to be sure from your photos but the pots they are in look quite small so you need to make sure you keep up with regular watering and feeding.

Remove any really dodgy looking leaves, but don't go too far and leave the plants with nothing but stems and tomato trusses.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

WulfrunFrank

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 20:01 »
Discoloured leaves are usually a sign of some mineral deficiency, magnesium phospahte, whatever. Either give them a good feed (Seaweed is good ) or if they are mostly leaves at the bottom it's no problem to take them off. This also helps with air circulation around the plants. Good regular feeding and watering should cure most issues. Till blight arrives of course ........

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 20:17 »
I don't think you've got too much to worry about, Lacaya, but as Jay says, they do need a lot of water at this time of year, and also, if the trusses are forming, then they need some sort of feed, like Tomorite!

Can you put them in trays, to ensure the water doesn't just flow away? If you can, you can also feed them from the tray or plate, underneath, by just pouring some and letting it soak upwards!

I don't really think you have a problem, so keep talking to them eh!

lacaya

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 21:22 »
Thanks all!  I was terrified it was the start of b----t  and was just about to burn the poor things.

They're in 10 inch pots but have grown through into the soil now. It's neglect then... I'm a terrible tomato mother  :(

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 22:33 »
Thanks all!  I was terrified it was the start of b----t  and was just about to burn the poor things.

They're in 10 inch pots but have grown through into the soil now. It's neglect then... I'm a terrible tomato mother  :(

I'm afraid you'll soon know if you get B****t, Lacaya, the toms'll tell you soon enough, often in a matter of hours!

10" pots sound great, but can you lift up and put them into some sort of tray to act as a reservoir?

As long as the roots aren't too embedded in the soil underneath, they may well thank you for it!

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 22:34 »
Are they indoors or outdoors?

Its unlikely that you'll get blight if they're in a greenhouse/polytunnel but it could be magnesium deficiency on the leaves that look a bit blue. The ones with spots could be sunburnt?

lacaya

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 12:01 »
I have a few individual saucers for those pots but there are 24 in all. What else could I stand them in?

Have only been feeding the ones that have fruit - should I be feeding them all now? Would that account for a mineral deficiency?

Thanks  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 12:28 »
Assuming you are using bought multi-purpose rather than soil, many of the nutrients will have run out after 6 weeks (that's the period usually quoted, although it partly depends on what you're growing and whether you also suspect some of the manufacturers "economise" a little on the added fertiliser.  ::) :unsure:)

In any event, you should start feeding with a proper tomato fertiliser as soon as the first truss sets - about once a week is usual but many tom fertiliser manufacturers say you can feed twice a week (that might be a good idea for yours if some of them haven't been fed at all yet.)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 16:42 by JayG »

lacaya

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 12:59 »
Yep!  Multi-purpose. I need to feed them all then.

clip
Tomato Problem

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 20, 2021, 07:51
by greenhead
xx
tomato problem

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 10:54
by surbie100
xx
tomato problem

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2019, 16:36
by hiccup
xx
Tomato problem??

Started by srush on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2008, 14:26
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 29 queries.