Inherited Raspberries

• 1 Replies

shuffle

Inherited Raspberries
« on: March 09, 2010, 22:42 »
Hi All,

I inherited a row of raspberry canes about 20 foot long on with my plot.  :) I took over in about mid October.  They'd obviously been cut down to the ground previously but in that warm spell we had around then had come back to 4 to 6 inches high and looked very healthy.  Over the winter though the rabbits have eaten all the nice green leaves off them and they are now just brown, dead-looking stems.  :( Now I've finished the fencing hopefully the rabbits won't do any more harm but....

Do you think they'll recover or have they had it?  Should I do anything to them like cutting them back again to get rid of the dead looking stems or just leave well alone for a bit?

I've no idea what type or variety they are, there are a few leaves starting to come back now though.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
Re: Inherited Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:17 »
You need to establish if they are summer or autumn raspberries and the best way to do that is probably just to leave them be for a while.

Give them a good feed with manure or mulch with compost taking care not to damage the new shoots.
Keep an eye on them and see what happens to those nibbled parts, they may recover.

With a bit of luck you may even get some fruit this year. Good luck
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

clip
inherited raspberries (I think)

Started by Billb on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 08:40
by New shoot
xx
Inherited raspberries

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 00:30
by Paul Plots
xx
Inherited Raspberries

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 21:42
by Yorkie
xx
Inherited a fig...

Started by Urbanite on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2015, 21:20
by Kristen

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 28 queries.