Hens on allotments

• 8 Replies

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Hens on allotments
« on: December 22, 2008, 21:06 »
I couldn't decide if this should go in The hen House. I thought posting here might get a broader response. Moderators do feel free to move it if you think its wrong.

So Cjhickens on the plot. My tenancy agreement says no chickens without permission. So I asked for permission. They said no. I asked why not. they wsaid no one is allowed to. I said why - they said 'the boss is off at the moment i'll ask hime when he is back.

Well the boss came back and said:

After speaking with xxxxxthe issue of chicken has been clarified.  Hull City Council do not allow chickens to be kept because we would have a "duty of care" under the Animal Welfare Act and I'm afraid this isn't something that we could accommodate (it would mean a qualified member of staff being employed by Hull City Council).

Hope this clarifys things abit.  

Anyone familiar with this explanation. Anyone worked through this?

Thanks for reading.

BP
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

crowndale

Hens on allotments
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 08:23 »
no, but in this day and age of health and safety gone mad and the tendency to sue everyone and anyone for the slightest little thing it does seem like a 'sensible' reason.  I can understand their concerns while thinking it can't be that hard to pass the responsibility onto the individual plot holder.  we're allowed them on our plots but no one does.  someone used to apparantly but he didn't look after them properly and everyone complained becoz of the smell!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Hens on allotments
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 08:50 »
We have just had the opposite, after years of not being allowed the council are now allowing us to keep them, however there are very strict conditions and we have to prove our worth before granted permission.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

woodburner

Hens on allotments
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 10:47 »
On my current plot/site I don't know whether or not I would be allowed, as I haven't had any paperwork yet.  :lol:
I haven't actually asked, but I assume I can't because when I had a plot on the other site, I was told no livestock.
However things may have changed, or they may not ofc ;)
If you like I can find out why they aren't/weren't allowed.
It's not an issue for me personally, (at least at the moment) as I would rather keep them at home anyway.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Hens on allotments
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 14:39 »
I have heard some real horror stories about health and safety on allotments including someone other in Staffs whose site had to wire up, or replace all their greenhouse glass with plastic after some yobs jumped the
fence and fell into a greenhouse.

I keep chickens at home with no problem.

Aidy do you know why they changed their mind?

Alfie

• Experienced Member
    • Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Club
Hens on allotments
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 14:45 »
When I got the 'rules' for my plot, it states that chickens and rabbits can be kept. The rabbits bit confused me for a while, but then the more I thought about it, I guess rabbits are out of vogue now as a food source for the masses.
Graham

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law

nwalch

• Experienced Member
Hens on allotments
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 21:41 »
No rabbits allowed on our plot. Doesnt stop them from trying to get in through  :(
Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

alfman

• Experienced Member
Chickens
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 13:14 »
I would have thought the welfare of livestock would be down to the owner and not the council, although its on their land. Two reasons I can think of not to keep them on lottie is other allotment holders objecting (smell mostly,) and rats, chickens are a magnet for them.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Hens on allotments
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 20:40 »
No idea Paddy, we just got a letter and a little info sheet saying we can keep both Bee's and Chucks. Chatting to a few plot holders its looking like they may be a good few on next year.

xx
New allotments

Started by makedoandmend on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 19:46
by makedoandmend
xx
New Allotments

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 16:46
by Salkeela
xx
new to allotments

Started by liliboots1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 18:42
by fatbelly
xx
allotments.

Started by sam51 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 22, 2018, 07:25
by paul sadler

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 28 queries.