Just so I understand this...

• 14 Replies

Riala

« on: December 28, 2008, 10:47 »
Chitting and Seed Potatoes?

Am I right in thinking I can purchase Seed Potatoes, which is basically... potatoes (but called Seed and that is what I must buy, not just a bag of spuds from my market) and then I place them in something like a seed tray in a single layer until I get the shoots, and this is called 'chitting'?

So I can buy them now from B&Q or Homebase or whever, then put them in my brick shed by the window in a seed tray, with no water or soil?  

When do I put them in my Patio Grower? (bucket)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:51 »
Hi Riala, your thinking is correct, but I don't usually buy my seed potatoes until January or February, and if you keep them in a shed, then try not to let the frost get them.  One year I left mine open and they got frostbite but the following year, I just covered them lightly with some fleece,  which still let the light on them for chitting, but kept the frost away.

pushrod

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 10:51 »
yes , but a bit early really to buy them as you will have to protect any growth from frost.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Riala

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:56 »
Oh, I was not planning to buy them straight away, but everywhere sold out of the last late Seeds last year so I didn't want to miss out.

Once I do buy them (prob late Jan) how long do I leave them before putting them into some compost in a bucket?

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:01 »
This link may help Potato Growing Guide
Val
Recipes Galore!

Riala

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 11:13 »
There are so many hidden and super duper useful pieces of information within these pages!!

Every time I am linked to them I am fascinated at how easy to understand and follow the information is.

It is so very useful to a newcomer to growing like myself!

Thank you everyone.

pushrod

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 11:16 »
Quote from: "Riala"

Once I do buy them (prob late Jan) how long do I leave them before putting them into some compost in a bucket?

You have to be able to see into the future so that you get them growing after the last hard frost or like the rest of us you scurry around in the dark with fleece having just noticed that the forecast says there will be a hard frost  :evil:
Depends on what your part of lincolnshire is like  for frost. I would guess you are looking at march /april - a lot of people are often in a hurry to get things planted but you often find that later planted things catch up and are healthier. Mind potatoes that are in the ground will come back after frosting but it just knocks them back several weeks.

Riala

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 13:19 »
So... I am ok to buy in late Jan early Feb for chitting, then plant out late Mar early April?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 14:20 »
Yes  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Riala

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 14:30 »
Excellent, thank you every body!!

*hugs for all*

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 16:06 »
Chitting seed is in essence advancing the potato lifecycle.

Buy the potatoes any time now and store them in a cool and frost free place. Many shops keep them too warm and they start to sprout. Do not buy them. A garage or shedis ok, they are fine in the dark at this stage. The important thing is to keep them cool so they do not start to sprout.

About 6 week before the expected planting date bring them into a warm and light place. After about a week the potatoes dormancy will break and sprouts, called chits, will appear in the eyes. They think it is Spring.

Once you can see the chits move the potatoes to a cool, light and frost free place. A cool geenhouse or shed window is fine but they may need covering or bringing inside if a frost is forecast.

They will hold like this until you are ready to plant. The chits will grow and become miniature potato plants. Around the base of each you will observe small baubles. These are the roots waiting to grow as soon as they go into the soil.

To get really early potatoes you will need to be prepared to protect tops against frost. I would aim to plant in early March which should give you the first taste in early June. To achieve this you will need to start off the chiting process at the start of February.

pushrod

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 20:31 »
All you have to decide on now are the types - first earlies , main crop etc and whether to go for taste or disease/pest resistance. Unfortunately many of the most reliable croppers are the least tasty and vice versa  :lol:

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 20:35 »
Yeah that's right but hang on a bit too early to chit potatoes yet wait till at least Feb at least  IMHO
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Riala

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 20:47 »
I already said I am chitting in Feb.

And I would like Maris Pipers.

Parsnip

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 20:48 »
Quote from: "Salmo"
Chitting seed is in essence advancing the potato lifecycle.

Buy the potatoes any time now and store them in a cool and frost free place. Many shops keep them too warm and they start to sprout. Do not buy them. A garage or shedis ok, they are fine in the dark at this stage. The important thing is to keep them cool so they do not start to sprout.

About 6 week before the expected planting date bring them into a warm and light place. After about a week the potatoes dormancy will break and sprouts, called chits, will appear in the eyes. They think it is Spring.

Once you can see the chits move the potatoes to a cool, light and frost free place. A cool geenhouse or shed window is fine but they may need covering or bringing inside if a frost is forecast.

They will hold like this until you are ready to plant. The chits will grow and become miniature potato plants. Around the base of each you will observe small baubles. These are the roots waiting to grow as soon as they go into the soil.

To get really early potatoes you will need to be prepared to protect tops against frost. I would aim to plant in early March which should give you the first taste in early June. To achieve this you will need to start off the chiting process at the start of February.

Super post, I pottered in here for a wee look...I know exactly where and when to put my tayto's out now...Thankyou salmo

xx
I do not understand...

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 14:25
by compostqueen
xx
Cabbage : Why does nobody understand ?

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:59
by poppie
xx
weeding - I now understand purgatory!!!

Started by ianjmatt on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 23:09
by peapod
xx
Pictures that only posters on this forum would understand.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 00:24
by Trillium

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 36 queries.