PH Testers

• 12 Replies

drummerboy

PH Testers
« on: September 27, 2007, 21:32 »
:? Has anyone had experience with electronic PH testers & if so would you recommend them over the DIY soil, water & powder mix?

muntjac

PH Testers
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 21:33 »
go fer the soil one  :wink: cheaper and does the job  :wink:
still alive /............

Bigbadfrankie

PH Testers
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 21:37 »
go for electric one they are not to expensive and will test for years
always have a target
and an objective.

muntjac

PH Testers
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 21:38 »
Quote from: "Bigbadfrankie"
go for electric one they are not to expensive and will test for years

ah but u only need to know the once ...then you can work the soil to your own spec  :wink:

mushroom

PH Testers
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 00:39 »
Quote from: "muntjac"

ah but u only need to know the once ...then you can work the soil to your own spec  :wink:

But would one test be representative of the whole plot?

muntjac

PH Testers
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 10:49 »
yes mushroom you take a sample from all parts and then blend it and then do the test according to the destructions on the leaflet .. but if ur like me  you would do single tests at 6 points on the plots ... 1/3 rd way  in from both sides and 3 points down each side .... the common guide is that the soil on your nieghbours garden is different sometimes rings true but i have never found it  :wink:

mushroom

PH Testers
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 13:36 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
.. but if ur like me  you would do single tests at 6 points on the plots ... 1/3 rd way  in from both sides and 3 points down each side .... the common guide is that the soil on your nieghbours garden is different sometimes rings true but i have never found it  :wink:

yeah thats how i'd do it - i thought it was just one test! which wouldn't make a lot of sense even if the tests were mixed.

I know the bottom, south end of my plot is considerably more acidic (5.5) than the top, north end (7.5).

muntjac

PH Testers
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 13:40 »
when i took on my first plot i decided that i was going to go and change the whole plot into a neutral state and then make what adjustments for  the different  ph neccasary  when i planted . my whole plot is now on that sytem  having the space i can make full plots over to cabbages or potato's when i want . aiming for  anetral ph on ur plot allows you to do this for yourself  :)

mushroom

PH Testers
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 13:52 »
yeah i'd go with that, makes sense. Wish i'd done my whole plot at once! still have 1/5th of it to do. The brambles have it right now  :x

drummerboy

PH Testers
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 19:38 »
Now you see, these are conflicting answers. I would of thought that with an electric tester you could go around the whole plot doing tests. I wonder that if you mix soil from different parts of the plot, where some can be more acid then others vice verse, you may end up with a neutral reading?  :roll:

muntjac

soil testing
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 19:43 »
just clarify it for ya drummer boy matey ..if you use the chemical one you only need to do it the one time using the 6 individual test samples .. cost about £4 with an electric one yes you have it for years at £12 or so .....but you wont use it after you establich a rotation system on an allotment :wink:

gobs

PH Testers
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 19:44 »
Nobody surely means that drummy, you got to read between the lines, people just trying to be polite. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

drummerboy

PH Testers
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 19:52 »
Now ya see that makes more sense, so I'll buy the chemical tester and do it once then rotate my crops as I go along, well at least I will next year when I get started as we only got the plot a few months ago & have spent most of our time clearing & preparing  :lol: cheers.

xx
ph testers

Started by fredhogg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 19:22
by Gizzy
xx
Soil PH testers

Started by gwolf65 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 18:32
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 29 queries.