Buying dead seeds is common

• 16 Replies

Garden Gnome

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 13:28 »
Thank you, munty! Just found them! It would be nice to bring some home that I've grown, not ones that I've swapped for a cabbage!

gobs

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 19:49 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Quote from: "gobs"

But than you are just that sort of a guy with high standards, and then guess what, I started saving my own seeds two years ago or so, and saving more and more types as time goes on(once a business gets going...)and always get a much better germination rate on them, then on bought ones( I always sow them side by side at the same time, not trusting mine being any use).
And that's me being a lousy cook, which I am, they are rarely even stored properly, they are just fresh :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

What sort of seed do you save? Things like beans & peas are easy, when it comes to carrots, parsnips etc, it's a different matter, you have to leave the crop in the ground for an extra year, thus taking up valuable space. You have to ask yourself whether it worth that, or shall I go & spend £1.50 or whatever on a packet of seed.

I just noticed I did not answer your question, I'm sorry there was a bit of swearing at the icing going on at the time, gets like that around the making of the fancy birthday cake, so here it goes:
root parsley(I grow it all year round, so might as well help myself)
caraway(grown for seed anyway)
beans, sweet peas, sunflower -easy
cucumber, tomato, pepper -easy
rocket, land cress, sorrel -fast and easy
lettuce, chicory, radicchio- always leave some to flower as I found them beautiful
Last year I saved winter onion and leek seeds-germination was bril, got to see, what eating they are going to make
This year I added kale, sprouting broccoli, swish chard, radish, carrot, next season will tell.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
buying seeds

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 21, 2019, 19:25
by snowdrops
xx
Buying Seeds Now?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2015, 16:07
by New shoot
xx
Buying your seeds?

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 28, 2024, 06:07
by bobbyt
xx
buying seeds etc

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2007, 19:18
by philmay

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 32 queries.