creosote

• 3 Replies

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
creosote
« on: October 21, 2007, 21:22 »
Not sure about the spelling (but its the stuff you paint on wood)  I have been told to paint the inside of my hen house with creisote to help with the red mite problem I have recently had. House has been jet washed and I have diatom to spread about.  Are they correct?  Also with diatom - should i sprinkle it every time I clean them out or only when I'm giving it a wash out? and how much should i sprinkle?  I bought 500g but cant imagine how long that much should last.

muntjac

creosote
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 21:33 »
DO NOT use the creosote at all ..,.....its a poisn and can burn animals and chucks .if you need to use a paint product which i dont advise under any circumstances ... use a water based one .the mites wil still get in the cracks anywas .... ,, when ya scrub out the house for the diatom and then sprinkle the birds neck at the back with a bit  :wink:
still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
creosote
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 21:35 »
This has come up a few times over the past few weeks Shazzer, have a read, and Munty will tell you all about creosote!!!!

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=8543&start=45

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
creosote
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 21:36 »
I wouldn't use creosote but I know some keepers do (You cant get the old fashioned stuff now I believe)

I bought 5kg of diatom nearly two years ago and still have about 1kg left so it lasts a long time.  Keep it sprinkled around the hen house/coop at all times. Add it to the chooks dust bath in their run too.  Some people add it to the chooks food to help prevent gut worms (but not lung worm).

xx
creosote

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 19:09
by Aunt Sally
xx
Creosote

Started by Prod on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 23:57
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Creosote!

Started by Mrs Tweedy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 22:40
by chickenlady
xx
creosote substitute

Started by brenda on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 17:38
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 33 queries.