"Garden" compost - how good are you at making it?

• 35 Replies

allotmentann

Re: "Garden" compost - how good are you at making it?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 10:23 »
You can put annual weeds in the compost, with the seed heads removed. Perennials need to be well killed off first, either drowned in a bucket for a few weeks or desiccated in the sun (wrong time of the year for that method!). Personally, I prefer not to put perennials in. I would rather burn them or take them to the council green waste collection.   :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 10:26 »
Presumably you mean using the plastic sheets as a liner rather than on their own?
2mm doesn't sound rigid or strong enough on its own, and would need plenty of holes made in it for ventilation (and drainage too if you also use it as a base.)
White is probably not the best colour either as it's very reflective - black is better as it will absorb heat from the sun and help to warm the heap.

Yes, weeds can go in the compost - tough, perennial weed roots are best either drowned or sun-baked for a few weeks first to make sure they are dead, and it's best to avoid any plant which has formed seed heads as they too can easily survive in a compost heap that doesn't get really hot.

(Ah, pretty much the same as Allotmenann, but slower!  ;))
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:28 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 12:23 »
2 questions please

can i make a compost bin from white 2 mm plastic sheets will this work?

I think it will do for a season or so, but plastic degrades in sunlight and becomes brittle.

and should the weeds go in the compost or not?

thanks

Annual weeds can go on it, as long as they're not flowering / flowered.  Perennial weeds such as nettle roots, docks, dandelions, couch grass, marestail, ground elder are best not included in your compost unless you can guarantee the heap will get hot enough to kill them off - and many compost heaps at home don't do so.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ivor Backache

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 17:39 »
http://www.klickitatcounty.org/SolidWaste/ContentROne.asp?fContentIdSelected=993887739&fCategoryIdSelected=948111261
Have a look at this. I messaged it earlier in the year and it enables you to get  a good idea of the proportions you need to mix the different ingredients to make a good compost.
Because summertime is predominately green material you need a good stock of brown to go with it. I take all my newspapers and cardboard for that reason and sandwich it between the green material.
I have 3 bins. Bin1 is where all the new material goes. When it is full I transfer it to bin2 with a good mixing. I refill bin1. Bin 2 goes into bin 3 for use, and so on.
I would imagine that the problem we all have it getting the proportion right when there is so much green material to hand. Its surprising how much newspaper is needed to achieve this balance.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 17:52 »
I've being very impresice with my first attempt just thowing the  waste in as I get it adding a little manure now and again and cardboard. Oh its made from three pallets.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

snowdrops

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 20:41 »
I have 3 bins made from pallets about 1 metre square for each bin. I like others have said fill bin 1,then turn in to bin 2 & then into bin 3. All kitchen waste,garden & allotment waste goes in with generous layers of manure & some paper shreddings,/cardboard from the kitchen when I remember. It takes a while,quicker in warmer weather of course. Each bin is covered with a frame with polycarbonate attached that I inherited with the plot. It takes a lot of room but I feel it is as important. I also have a Green Johanna bin that is sealed against vermin,I set that up March 2012 & filled it until spring this year with all types of waste including cooked foods,bones etc. I have left it all this year &will be looking to turn it out over the winter. I wish I had bought 2 whilst the local council had them on special offer. A good way of dealing with kitchen scraps etc.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 37 queries.