A nice new spade?

• 8 Replies

grumpyoldmark

A nice new spade?
« on: April 27, 2012, 16:01 »
I hope this is the right place for this (still a newbie!), some of the equipment discussed here sounds much more advanced!
Anyway, I saw this spade on offer from Wilkinsons:
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/garden+power-tools/wilko-stainless-steel-digging-spade-ash-wood-handle/invt/0134646

Seemed like a nice price for a stainless spade with ash handle to replace my horrid old cheapy and easy to pop into the local shop to get one too.
Anyone use(d) one of these or perhaps know what I should be looking for?

Thanks and regards,

Mark

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: A nice new spade?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 16:38 »
I only buy cheap tools if I'm either not going to use it much, and/or it will be used for lighter work than you would generally use it for (hope that makes sense - an example would be my lawn edging shears which are used about 3 times a year to trim the 10' edge alongside my pond.)

Not got the Wilco spade but I would suggest you pick it up and compare it with more expensive brands before buying - it could be an excellent buy but could also be too insubstantial for anything other than light work, and you've already got one nasty cheap one!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 19:28 »
I have been looking at spades. The stainless ones are welded. Look again at the picture and the V shape where the handle joins the blade -that is a weld. That is the weak link, not the handle.

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 20:17 »
 I think it is very important to check the overall length of the spade and buy one that suits your height it can save a lot of aching muscles particularly if you are tall.
Retired but never short of a job.

Totty

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 21:20 »
I always try to get the best tools and compost that i can, and try to be thrifty with everything else. You get what you pay for.

Totty

grumpyoldmark

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 21:34 »
I have been looking at spades. The stainless ones are welded. Look again at the picture and the V shape where the handle joins the blade -that is a weld. That is the weak link, not the handle.
I had a close look and if it's a weld then it's the best bit of welding I've seen in a long time!

smud6ie

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 22:18 »
I had a close look and if it's a weld then it's the best bit of welding I've seen in a long time!

Its suprising what a grind and polish can cover up!
smud6ie

Scotch Thistle

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 23:12 »
I know it's a bit more than the spade you linked, but have a look at bulldog tools, they are a British company, and the tools are drop forged from a single piece of metal, so no weak points/welds to worry about.
Maybe something like this would be suitable if you can stretch to it?

http://www.bulldoghandtools.co.uk/bulbds-bulldog-digging-spade.html

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 16:21 »
I borrowed my Father In Laws Stainless Steel spade once while I was doing some digging in his garden.  It worked fine until I hit a stone and chipped the corner off the spade.

I'll stick with my forged spade that I got from the local blacksmith, that thing seems indestructable, and is exactly the right size for me as it is custom made.  It only cost about £20.00, but that was a few years ago now, not sure what one would cost today.

question
new spade

Started by Helencroft on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
New spade!

Started by Browser on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 20:10
by Browser
xx
new spade,new fork

Started by buba on Equipment Shed

31 Replies
Last post November 14, 2008, 20:56
by richyrich7
xx
Mini Spade

Started by donald.cape on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 10:50
by donald.cape

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 33 queries.