Raised beds and asparagus spacing

• 4 Replies

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
Raised beds and asparagus spacing
« on: March 29, 2011, 13:03 »
I'm currently in the process of double digging my soil in preparation for a raised asparagus bed.  I've got myself some old scaffolding boards so I can build the bed to the following dimensions: 2.5m long  x 1.2m wide x 45cm tall.

Usually you read that crops can be planted closer together in a raised bed and i wondered if that would be the case for asparagus too?  If so how many plants do you think I can fit in this sized bed?  I know that the advice states 30-45cm apart down the middle of the bed but wondered if pushing it to 20-25cm is asking for trouble?

Perhaps I created a raised bed 1.4m wide I could get two rows in it?  Do you think that could work?

Sorry for my constant asparagus posts but I want to make sure I don't balls it up and be stuck with a poor crop for 20years

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Raised beds and asparagus spacing
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 13:17 »
Hi MrsS - I reckon you can get a decent crop in raised beds that size.

I have 2 raised beds both 1.5m x 1.25m opposite each other with a couple of cheap black metal arches side by side between the 2.  I've got 6 asparagus crowns in each and a cordon apple at each corner of the beds.  The asparagus has been in 3 years now and I got a bit of a crop last year and have huge spears just starting to push through now.  Get tons of apples too.  I mulch heavily with fym over winter as it is all a bit crammed in, but it seems to work.

Think the only piccie I have is of it in the snow but will post it on so you can see how compact it all is  :)

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 13:46 »
Hi MrsS - I reckon you can get a decent crop in raised beds that size.

I have 2 raised beds both 1.5m x 1.25m opposite each other with a couple of cheap black metal arches side by side between the 2.  I've got 6 asparagus crowns in each and a cordon apple at each corner of the beds.  The asparagus has been in 3 years now and I got a bit of a crop last year and have huge spears just starting to push through now.  Get tons of apples too.  I mulch heavily with fym over winter as it is all a bit crammed in, but it seems to work.

Think the only piccie I have is of it in the snow but will post it on so you can see how compact it all is  :)

Cool! Thanks for the advice.  I'm suprised you managed to get 6 in each raised bed.  I think I'll try to cram ten into to mine :)

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 14:27 »
If mine ever get delivered, I'll be putting 10 into an 8x4 bed (2 rows of 5 ) information here http://www.asparagus-in-kent.co.uk/ suggests 4 crowns per sq yard.

edited - as I have clumsy fingers today.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 17:01 by Lardman »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 17:00 »
I think with raised beds you can get away with a lot more if you really look after the soil.  My asparagus beds get a full bag of farmyard manure (garden centre 70L? size) each every winter.  I feed with pelleted chicken manure over the summer once I have finished cutting to build up the crowns for the following year as well  :)

xx
Spacing in Raised Beds (and spacing in general!)

Started by nwalch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 22:09
by Ice
xx
Veg spacing in raised beds

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 17:47
by Trillium
xx
Brassica spacing in raised beds

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 19:43
by Jay Dubya
xx
spacing of roots in raised beds

Started by cowpat on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 22:03
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 29 queries.