Vanilla

• 9 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Vanilla
« on: March 02, 2015, 07:57 »
Has anyone tried growing your own vanilla pods for cooking? Always assuming I could find some seeds, of course.

I gather it is not that easy.
Anne

Markw

• Experienced Member
Re: Vanilla
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:10 »
Ha Annen
It would be nice if you could, but we don't have the climate, it likes hot humid conditions, I visited a Vanilla farm in Vanuatu it was fascinating, the bushes take a few years to get into production, but it is the conditioning of the pods that take time and need the correct conditions.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:11 by Markw »
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:08 »
Mmm, thanks for the reply.   :) :) I had a feeling that climate might be an issue, since I haven't heard of any vanilla farms in the UK, :nowink:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 13:00 »
I don't know much about it, and what I do is based on faded memory, but my recollection is that they are a nightmare to grow!

Orchids needing humid rainforest conditions

Pods harvested have to them be processed to stop all vegetative growth, and at that point they have no Vanilla flavour, that is achieved by curing them which I think required wrapping them in bundles in the dark, but unwrapping them every day and exposing them to the sun for something like an hour only before wrapping them up again. I seem to remember that had to be repeated for ages? but maybe its gained something in the remembering and it was only a few weeks - still way too much Faff for me!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 13:49 »
That explains why vanilla pods are expensive, Kristen :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 14:36 »
Indeed. Imagine if Runner Beans needed that sort of Love and Attention before you could eat them? There'd be an outcry on the forums :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 15:38 »
I've got some runner beans which have been curing in salt in Kilner jars for the past 18 months - bet they don't taste like either vanilla pods or runner beans!  :ohmy:  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 16:47 »
I've got some runner beans which have been curing in salt in Kilner jars for the past 18 months - bet they don't taste like either vanilla pods or runner beans!  :ohmy:  :lol:

Tried my salted runners the other day, they take a bit of de-salting but are better than frozen ! :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 07:21 »
We have got vanilla orchids at work in our houseplant department and I keep looking at them wistfully.  The actual plants don't seem that difficult to look after but apparantly they need to be fairly mature before you see a pod, so achieving that without a dedicated orchid house would not be easy  ::) 

Its all a pipe dream and Kristen's explanation of the curing process has just brought me back to reality with a bump  :lol:

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 09:40 »
Yes, it all seems a bit high maintenance. Now I know why they are so expensive in the shops. :nowink:

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 30 queries.