okra

• 5 Replies

kellycontina

• mineandmumsplot99
okra
« on: April 05, 2015, 22:51 »
Any of you lovely allotment oracle's ever had success growing this,  my mum's husband wants us to try growing on lotty and I have noclue on the stuff ????!!!!???
Plant and it will grow....... (hopefully) 🍄🌾🌱🌰🌴🍁🍂🌹🍀🎃🌽🍅🍆🍍🍐🍌🍈🍑🍓🍎🍊🍋🍒🍇🍉

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: okra
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 07:05 »
Well, I can tell you it is dead easy to grow given the right conditions but unless you have a summer like last year you might need a greenhouse. We used seed from the neighbours last year (felt we had to grow it even though we are not keen) and it germinated easily, planted it out in May and left it. Being a hibiscus the flowers are lovely. Had far too many plants, but they are OK battered and deep fried or pickled. But we are in Bulgaria, though last summer was not the best

LotuSeed

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 07:27 »
I've never grown it myself.  Here it's considered more of a southern crop since it likes a long hot growing season. Growing up on the North my Uncle grew it successfully (but I think we have a longer and hotter growing season than where you are). Might be worth a try in a greenhouse of pt. I'd check to see what variety it is. You may have better luck with one that is an early producer.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

AnneB

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 07:42 »
I tried it in a polytunnel last year.   It grew to about 6" (I believe they should be a couple of feet tall?), and produced 1 okra.   Not the greatest success.  Until I get my bigger polytunnel, and have space to spare, I shall not be bothering again.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 08:13 »
I am trying it for the first time this year. Although I have heard people say it grows easily I have also heard it is sensitive to temperature changes. It was also a challenge in the marmite programme (the allotment challenge)  :)

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 06:07 »
I've had the same experience as AnneB. One more attempt this year and then I'm going to give up.

xx
Okra

Started by MrsMak on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 09:21
by olyfrankel
xx
Okra

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2013, 19:02
by blackberryjam
xx
Okra

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 00:25
by Beanzie
xx
okra

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 14:33
by muntjac

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 37 queries.