Fight to the finish

• 5 Replies

anchorman

Fight to the finish
« on: April 08, 2015, 22:28 »
On my way home from work today, I saw a tractor, arms spread spraying his crop in the Warwickshire countryside. Just happened to catch the farmer near his field gate. I asked him what job he was on. "Insects he said, protecting before the invasion". I dont know what he was spraying and I dare not ask but I would be of the same frame of mind as I want food on my table and not in the pea moth belly. I dont want to upset organic gardeners but This year I will fight to the finish to keep a healthy crop. Looks like being a warm summer so.....weapons at the ready sir! Men are dirty, guns are clean!

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Fight to the finish
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 23:52 »
I'm not vehemently pro organic, but I certainly don't want pesticides etc on my food and I think that's easily achieveable without needing to resort to sprays. IMO most insect damage can be avoided by using appropriate netting.

I tend to find that slugs cause the most damage...the slimy little blighters!

:)

LotuSeed

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:30 »
My survival isn't dependent upon the produce from my garden. Until that day comes, I'll stay away from pesticides. Actually even if that were the case, I still wouldn't use them. 
Have you looked into integrated pest management?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 13:58 by LotuSeed »
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 07:40 »
Whether you are organic or not I think anything that isnt natural or designed to kill something cant be good for you if it gets in to your body.

This is great common sense vegetable gardening and could save you money and heartache    http://www.greenvegetableseeds.com/vegetable-pests-diseases/    It is by Klaus Laitenberger.

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:45 »
personally i think for the small scale of the allotment organic is actually cheaper. you also don't have to have a science degree to mix all the chemicals that they do on the farms.

what pests do you have problems with?

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 10:03 »
Everyone to their own. However it does not make plants healthier being sprayed with this that and the other. Just as a human isn't healthier for taking lotions, potions and other various drugs. I am by no means an eco warrior but I do strive for a bit of balance and compromise in the garden. Apply the grass seed scenario one for the mouse, one for the crow, one to rot and one to grow to almost everything sounds about right. Besides if other things want to eat my crops then they must be good  ;)  :D

xx
Can seaweed foliar feed finish them off?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 16:37
by mumofstig
xx
Fight the blight...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post October 27, 2016, 22:13
by Tenhens
xx
Can't fight it any longer!!!

Started by lmpd on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:42
by yorkiegal
xx
Aspirin to fight blight...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 11:47
by cadalot

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 31 queries.