New Girls.... How long for integration?

• 4 Replies

Prod

New Girls.... How long for integration?
« on: July 28, 2012, 16:20 »
I have 5 pure breeds and a Welsummer Cockerel all about 11/12 mths old now.  I bought 2 more yesterday (yes I know!!!!)  A Copper Black Marans and a Welsummer both about 20 weeks old.  They all have a small field to range in and last night I made sure the new girls were in the coop but today there is definately 2 Groups. The 'oldies' and the 'newies'  Its actually quite interesting to watch as Bernard, who was bottom of the PO before, is now tentatively 'bossing' the 2 new ones.  They are not being attacked or pecked  but they prefer at the moment to be omn their own.  How long does it normally take for them to be accepted??? Cheers Paul

ehs284

Re: New Girls.... How long for integration?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 17:49 »
That seems to vary, but our experience is that when they form two groups and slowly get to know each other it is quicker than when they fight. The end result is one family, so don't panic or rush them. All will be OK.

Taylor40

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 17:53 »
I introduced two ex bats to my five POL girls last Saturday. First couple days there was a wee bit of pecking and squabbling (nothing major) and def two "clans". But after a few days (around Wed) they had all got to know each other and have been fine.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 18:47 »
It has been about 2 months with our new girls.

We have 2 right bullies who were at the end of the pecking order and one of them really tore into our Bovan's white. Left her with a right gaping wound. :(

The newbies are finally coming down off the roof of the cube and beginning to integrate but when it starts to get a bit lively they beggar off to the top of the cube and poop on the other chicken's heads to get their own back. :lol:

Prod

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 19:25 »
They have been Ok today albeit in two groups but Ive just been down to the field to put them in the electric fenced off area for the night & the others were really chasing them & the cockerel was trying to tread them.  I decided to take them out and let them free range.  Last night I put the 'old' girls away first, then went down after the automatic door on the coop had closed to see what was going on. The oldies were locked in the coop and the 2 new ones were perched in the shelter I built behind the shed.  Should I leave them there overnight  or put them in the coop with the others again till morning when the door opens at 6 and I open the fencing at 6.30???  Thanks again for advice

xx
Integration

Started by Abacus on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:45
by Jeanette
xx
Premature integration

Started by jhub on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 23:36
by jhub
xx
Integration of new hens

Started by Chicken Pete on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 21:06
by bantam novice
xx
Struggling with integration.....

Started by chickenmclicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 21:45
by joyfull

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 33 queries.