Empty toilet rolls

• 8 Replies

Michael D

• Experienced Member
Empty toilet rolls
« on: January 08, 2011, 14:00 »
Hi all has anyone  ever  sowed parsnips seeds in toilet rolls, on a window sill , then planted them out  when time to.

compostqueen

Re: Empty toilet rolls
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 14:27 »
Yes, there's probably lots of threads on here about it so have a look in the veg section.  I use loo rolls all the time and they're fine  :)

Swing Swang

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 14:46 »
Yes to toilet rolls, no to windowsill - they're quite happy in an unheated coldframe - SS

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 15:50 »
I have successfully started the seeds on damp kitchen roll paper above the boiler in an old ice cream container to check that the seeds were viable.  Once they showed signs of growth I very carefully (my wife's tweezers!) sowed them in the toilet roll inserts and put outside.  However the hardest part, in my opinion, is transferring them to the soil without disturbing the root.  Whilst the toilet roll insert should disintegrate I split mine down the side first with a Stanley knife and then very carefully bury the toilet roll insert beneath the level of the surrounding soil so that the whole of the cardboard remains damp and therefore it disintegrate.  The root grows quite quickly so you need to transfer it to the allotment before the root shows out of the bottom of the toilet role insert or else the parsnip root is likely to split.

savbo

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 19:26 »
but see recent discussions about malformed parsnips due to tiniest damage to the new roots

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 00:24 »
I personally don't think that loo rolls are tall enough for Parsnip. I do mine in newspaper pots which are 6" to 7" tall and its a close-call when I plant out whether the tap root has appeared (and I plant out as soon as the third leaf arrives, so the plants are still "tiny" at that point).

I'm going to try putting loo rolls around my leeks this year - to blanch more of the stem. (Some kind person told me that once the leek is well above the first loo roll you can squish the end of another a bit, and thus balance it on top of the first, to get double-height-loo-roll blanching :)

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 02:11 »
Try using kitchen rolls for Parsnips, they are too long as they are for ordinary parsnips, but you can cut them down so they are still longer than toilet rolls.

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 14:46 »
I've tried toilet rolls newspaper pots and peat pots they did the best in peat pots the only downside to that was that some roots where coming out of the pot probably because i left them a bit late to plant out  :ohmy:

i sowed two seed per pot when they came up i pricked out one leaving one to grow I've got parsnip  but there not that long so i intend to grow them in peat pots again this year but dib then into a hole filled with compost and sand mixture before the roots come out the bottom of the pot :)

I've had some good advise on this site for growing parsnips so hopefully depending on the season we should have good parsnips  maybe  :D

Jono

• Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 17:03 »
I got this tip from one of the ladies at the allotments when I struggled with parsnips. Tried toilet rolls and it worked really well.

Have received quite a few funny looks when coming out of various loos in the offices at work clutching empty rolls. :)

xx
Empty toilet rolls

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 18:55
by mr Isaccs
xx
parsnips in toilet rolls

Started by ecky on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 19:47
by ulsterfairy
xx
using toilet rolls as pots

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 31, 2009, 21:44
by cooperman
xx
Leeks & Toilet Rolls

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 18:40
by fluffstermum

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 35 queries.