Broody Hens Galore HELP

• 43 Replies

Asaunders

Re: Broody Hens Galore HELP
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 18:12 »
thanks joyfull, its just a nightmare as start of may i was getting a good amount of eggs and they have just gone off, what are ur feeding techniques as i have been told mine arent the best?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 18:13 »
u got any advice ICE?
I only know which end the food goes in, which end the eggs come out and how to cook one.

You'll get some very expert advice on here, but not from me. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 18:19 »
of course you can if you have the room and facilities. I don't know where abouts in the country you are but grannie will help you I'm sure  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Foxy

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 18:21 »
Actually, you have some nice good utility layers there! welsummers, Black Rocks (first gen hybrid) and Rhode Island Reds.
Do you know how old they are? From all those hens you should get enough to get by egg wise, despite a few broodies. Sometimes though they can take a natural dip in laying, particulary if they have been laying like mad for a while.
Some reasons for a depression in laying are:

Red Mite/Lice
Diet with lack of calcium/minerals
Broodyness

checklist:

Check combs are they nice and red?
Check weight, are they too thin?
Check around vent, under wings around hackle feathers carefully for lice
Take a torch and shine around every single nook and cranny, paying particular attention to the perches.
Ensure ad lib access to good quality layers pellets/oyster shell/add 25ml Apple Cider Vinegar per litre drinking water. Add one teaspoon twice a week for a month of cod liver oil mixed into pellets.You can also give a boost with poultry spice if you think they are a little under the weather.
Make sure at this time of year PLENTY clean drinking water daily, if a hen gets dehydrated she will stop laying.

Hope this helps! :)

too many girls

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 18:22 »
you can still keep the pure breeds, but if they keep going broody you will get bumper crops of eggs less often, you will get eggs for longer tho, tell your wife you need some hybrids as well as the pure breeds, argue the point, if she doesn't give, kick her :lol:

Asaunders

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 18:25 »
thanks foxy, the hens are around 2 years old they look very healthy and have alot of energy, im still think its my feeding tehcniques do u live there feed down all day??? as i feed them in the morning them feed them again in the afternoon, i also have 10 welshsummers around 3 months old so hopefully when they are good enough they will lay me a goood amount of eggs.

Foxy

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 18:34 »
Best to leave feed down all day, take it away so its not in the run and night though as will attract rodents. :)
You might get some of those young welsummers to start laying this autumn so at least you will get eggs over winter! ;)

Asaunders

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 18:40 »
hopefully they are growing fast and my niece loves em, i only feed them on layers pellets what else would u give them for something different or a treat?

Foxy

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 18:42 »
well I dont give any treats this time of year....maybe a little mixed corn every now and then...but I am just mean! :D

Asaunders

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 18:45 »
ok thanks for the advice, am going to try the wire mess trick on them tomorrow cous they really are winding me up by sittin on my eggs all day the lazy gits, what kind of hens have u got then?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 19:17 »
Give them greens to peck at - just hang it up in their run.  You will be amazed how it improves the eggs.  There's lots of calcium in greens too :)

Asaunders

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 19:35 »
any kind of vegtables???

mumsy

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 20:03 »
I have had 2 go broody so far this year ( not at the same time).   I have  an old  shack in their run & I enclose them in there, with a rabbit hutch for sleeping.  It takes about 4 days & then I pop them back with the others. A couple of days later, they start laying again.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 20:08 »
Have you wormed them if your egg production is down ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Asaunders

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2009, 20:48 »
i havent wormed there yet but that was my next move, is that what u think its down 2??
and mumsy thanks 4 that i have an old big pigeon box that was given 2 me do u think i should put 1 in there for a couple of days??

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
question
Too many broody hens

Started by ahussey on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 08:30
by Sassy
xx
broody hens

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 11:46
by joyfull
xx
Broody Hens

Started by Willow_Warren on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post November 08, 2016, 20:03
by grinling

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 30 queries.