Strange behaviour

• 2 Replies

moomoos42

Strange behaviour
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:20 »
My two exbatts are doing a strange thing and i want to know if this is normal.
They walk around the run stopping to pick straw up and throw it onto their backs. They also do this in the nest box sometimes. My other Gals now do it some times too.
This is the joy of having chicken cams, you see some very strange and funny things!! :lol:
They also stand and sqwark for no reason i can see! I've gone flying out thinking the cats got in some how and they are just standing there making loads of noise. We do get sparrow hawks sometimes which have sent my old Gals running into the coop but i have never seen one when the exbats are "shouting",.
Thanks for any coments and HAPPY Christmas :D

Casey76

Re: Strange behaviour
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:06 »
Picking up bits of straw to place it on the back is an indication of broodiness.  but I'd probably say your ex-batts are just reacting to having bedding around the place.  instinct is a wonderful thing.

And yes, chickens can be very noisy for no apparant reason!  most likely they have spotted a would be predator, and letting everyone else know about it, but that predator could be anything... including a leaf blowing across the ground (in my girls' case ;) )

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
Re: Strange behaviour
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 23:13 »
Perfectly normal!

Mine do this if one of them decides to lay in the hedge and will be settled down ready and be picking up bits and bobs and throwing them over her back. I've also seen them do it when they are walking out of the nest box after laying their egg  :D

Yes, mine will also walk or stand around squawking at nothing in particular  :mad:

Bless them  :)
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

xx
strange behaviour

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2014, 16:44
by sussexchook
question
Strange behaviour - Help please?

Started by warrenscott on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 21:38
by ANHBUC
xx
Hen - strange behaviour

Started by Bess on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 08:34
by mintymoos
xx
strange behaviour

Started by noodledoo on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 11:31
by eggs on legs

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 33 queries.