heat lamp in coop advice

• 5 Replies

silverteen

heat lamp in coop advice
« on: December 15, 2011, 13:46 »
i have one of those standard house style coops that are for sale on ebay. its getting colder now and snow forecast tonight for us so im wanting to add some heat to the coop to prevent the water freezing.

i have 3 silkies in the coop who usually stick to just one of the two perches. i usually put the water drinker in the opposite corner away from the nesting boxes and the perch they use so its there if they want it but not in the way.

i have run a clip on lamp and bought a 60w fireglow bulb which i have screwed into the roof (away from touching the wood sides) and directly above the water drinker. ive set the timer (15 minute slots) to come on 4 time through the night at intervals, so around 7pm, 11pm, 2am and 5 am.

would this be ok? i dont want to add too much heat and dont want to disturb the birds sleep. the heat the light generates will mainly be on the drinker so the hens would only benefit a little from the heat it provides.

any thoughts? :blink:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: heat lamp in coop advice
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 14:53 »
they don't need water overnight so just bring the drinker into your house  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 17:30 »
I agree with Joy and if you heat the coop for your birds it will be bad for them as the change in temperature when they leave the coop will not be good for them.  They have enough insulation with their feathers.

I am using a table top food warmer which has candles in it to stop the water freezing during the day in bad weather.  Just put bricks or clay tiles on top of the warmer to disapate the heat so it doesn't melt plastic drinkers.  You can get the food warmers cheaply at car boots or even charity shops.  Long burning candles can last up to 8 hours which is enough as the bricks retain the heat for a while after.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 03:16 »
I agree that there should not be water or food in the house.  Also there should be no heat either.  If there is the birds will quickly learn to huddle close to it with potential for accidents and knocking any water over.

They just need draught free ventillation, DRY conditions. deep warm litter, forget newspaper use deep softwood shavings or straw etc they can nestle into.   Proper roosting bars (ie a parallel grid) so they can huddle together not a single or double pole which they can only roost side by side on.

Hang food outside undercover in the run and water raised off the ground.  Personally I'd not use any naked flame heater of any kind as it is a dangerous fire risk around any animal which can knock against it.  Regularly replacing the water is best if you can do this.

HF
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 01:11 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 20:43 »
There is no naked flame as it is all covered in and with bricks on top their is no way it can be knocked over.

Similar to this one

www.electricshopping.com/brabantia-br477164-food-warmer

;)

pepsi100

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 21:24 »
If you want an alternative to food warmers and candles, a heat pad for home brewing, I used that last year in the day time to stop water from freezing

I used to put a light in the coop, but that was more for my use, to see that they were okay, they didnt need me watching them, so I took it out, only use it when I take the water out at night

My coop is split into 2, half is the roost area, the other half, the dineing area,

I wouldnt expect them to go out in the rain and mud to have a feed (the run can be like a bog after a couple of days of rain)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

xx
Insulation type for the coop and heat lamp, 250watts enough for some chicks

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 08:48
by Casey76
xx
Heat mat or Lamp

Started by Draindragon on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2012, 10:27
by Casey76
xx
Heat lamp

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 14:47
by gracie
xx
How long should the heat lamp be on??

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 09:41
by Vember

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 36 queries.