feathers everywhere

• 4 Replies

Stewart P

feathers everywhere
« on: November 16, 2013, 09:11 »
We have 4 new ex-bats, re-homed 2 weeks ago.  There was a bit of a peck-off for the first couple of days but soon settled down and have been seemingly happy and producing eggs since then.  We have an 8-foot run which seems big enough and after the first day we let them free-range in the garden on the weekends and for half an hour or so before work on weekdays.  The last couple of days we've come home from work to find the run and coop covered with feathers which made us worried that they might be fighting (or something more sinister) once we've shut them in when we leave for work. 

Today we've replicated the half-an-hour out then put them back in the run and observed.  There is absolutely no sign of fighting but lots of preening and feathers falling off if they flap their wings.  Looks like moulting to me and i presume because they have "summer feathers" as a result of their battery environment and are moulting in prep for colder times ahead.  Should we be worried and how long before their "winter feathers" are fully developed. It's starting to get pretty frosty and we don't want chilly chickens.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: feathers everywhere
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:38 »
Mine are all moulting too, though a couple have come out the other side and are looking good. The only one not obviously moulting is laying. There are feathers everywhere! Multi-coloured in our case. I am hoping the one not moulting doesn't suddenly lose her feathers as we have bitter, short winters here in BG. With your's being commercial hens they may keep laying, our first year mongrels have given up for the winter. :(

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 15:00 »
I have 3 chickens, the first moulted and I was quite surprised, as you are by the amount of feathers everywhere! She is looking great now, took a good few weeks though. The second one is moulting now but doesn't seem as scruffy as the first one. The third one is still laying and seems fine.

I think they all snuggle up and keep themselves nice and warm at night any way. I always make sure there is a good thick layer of shavings in the hen house when it is particularly cold and plenty of hay in nest boxes.

Hope yours feather up soon!

Bev

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 08:48 »
Moulting it is and just right too as they'll be lovely and warm in January. At the moment they need protection from the wind. With a rainproof and windproof area, they'll bunch up and be fine.

Stewart P

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 10:16 »
Thanks all.  Having watched them roam yesterday am reassured that they're happy but just a little scruffy.  Looking forward to seeing them when they've regrown their full feathery winter plumage

xx
feathers

Started by desandchez on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 15:24
by janeheritage
xx
Feathers

Started by Chippet on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 08, 2012, 20:52
by Chippet
xx
No feathers!

Started by Wash hens! on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 20:11
by TeaPots
xx
Feathers........

Started by calli on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 20:32
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 36 queries.