Sneezing pullet and food question from a very anxious new hen owner!

• 6 Replies

PollyPearl

Hello,

I am new to this forum and to chicken keeping. I am really enjoying it but didn't anticipate how much I would worry about them! I hope you can all offer me some expert advice. We have only had the girls for two days, but I feel so attached already.

One of the pullets is sneezing; I sat in the coop with them for about ten minutes and in that space of time she sneezed four times. Is this normal? We have only had the girls for two days and the one that sneezes did seem a little stressed when she arrived. She appears fine apart from that.

Also, how much should they eat? They didn't seem to eat very much this evening but did tuck into the oats as soon as I put them in the run. This morning they found some worms though and that was after I had given them some grain and mash, so maybe they had had enough?

Should I also prepare for mites? I really want to avoid getting them. Should I use sprays/powders just in case or just stop panicking?!

Thank you!

kegs

First of all welcome to the site and when you get time make sure you post some photos of your new chickens.

Can you give us a little bit more information such as did you buy them from a reputable supplier and have they had injections?  What sort of bedding do you use in the coop? Is it dust extracted?  Can you be more specific about your feeding regime for them? 

As to mites and worms.  I use Frontline drops kitten strength for my chickens and worm them with Flubenvet which I repeat every few months.

PollyPearl

Thank you for replying, Kegs.

I feed them three handfuls of grain and mash mixed together in the morning (7am) and then some oats or scraps at 4:30pm. I'm not sure if this is enough. Should I do something different? The food is left in a container for them to peck at throughout the day. I considered putting it on the ground, but I am concerned about rats.

They have come from a friend who owns a farm. I am not sure about injections, but have inquired and should be able to answer this question soon. If they haven't should I get them and would this require a trip to the vets? I am happy to do this.

I have shredded paper in the nesting box at the moment. I didn't want to use straw because I read somewhere that it spreads infections and was worried that saw dust would be too dusty. Will shredded paper be okay? I read that it would, however, would be willing to change.

Will post some pictures soon!

Thank you

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Have they got a feeder? My chickens are a smilar age to yours, and I and just about to start changing the from growers pellets to layers pellets. I keep feed available to them all day in a weather proof freder and bring it inside at night to prevent attracting rats.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Morning and welcome to the forum!! Not too sure about the sneezing but regarding the feeding of corn this should only be given in the afternoon as a treat about an egg cup full per hen, the layers mash should be all they need throughout the day, otherwise they will start to only eat grain and oats as these are like chocolate to a child.  Shredded paper will be fine I used to use that but they started to eat it , wood shavings which are dust extracted will be fine to use in the coop, they come in a large bag quite cheaply, keep us posted about your girl and looking forward to the photos what breed are they?

Sassy

I agree with the other posts and re vaccinations they need to be done at a matter of days old and so it is not possible now. However, most backyard keepers do not have their chooks vaccinated and it does not guarantee them not picking up disease anyway. The vaccinations were designed for battery caged hens as they are a breeding ground kept in such numbers in a confined space.

Re the sneezing - is she showing any other symptoms?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

PollyPearl

Thank you for all your replies. You are all so lovely.

I have bought a water feed and food feeder and it should be arriving shortly.

They are Lohmann Browns. I have attached two pictures. One is of both birds and the other is just of Pearl, the little lady I am concerned about.

I sat with them this morning and Pearl only sneezed three times. I presume it is sneezing but on a chicken scale. Once when she was drinking and the other two times after she had pecked at the grass.

I have inspected the coop and all seems fine, she looks healthy, however, I am clearly no expert, and her droppings seem fine. She was the first to eat and drink this morning and pecking away merrily at the grass. She has also eaten some worms. I checked for a running nose etc. but nothing seems to be out of the ordinary.

The girls haven't been vaccinated.

Can I ask another question? What do you do in terms of entertainment? The chickens have quite a large run, however, I am worried they will get bored. I've read you can hang broccoli up. Does anyone do anything interesting?

Thank you all so much.
IMG01004-20111112-0855 (2).jpg
IMG01012-20111112-0900 (2).jpg

xx
Age old question... pullet or cockerel! (edit: now with pics)

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 22:16
by Caralou
xx
Anxious Chickens?

Started by foghornleghorn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2011, 11:39
by Jeanette
xx
Food question - how to????

Started by Vi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 01:24
by Vi
xx
What fun! Also Food Question!

Started by hectorshome on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 13:29
by lukasmum

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 28 queries.