What to cover ?

• 1 Replies

damo

What to cover ?
« on: January 20, 2010, 18:26 »
This year I have gained my 1st allotment. I have grown a few bits at home before in pots and under a cloche. Mostly strawberries carrots and potatoes.

I plan to put some onions in, garlic, potatotes, carrots, dwarf beans, corn, basically have a go at various things now I have the space.
My allotment is in the middle of a field so open to both rabbits, pigeons and most wildlife !
I have already put a half metre high chicken wire fence around the parimeter, but which of the veg should I cover, I feel like I need to cover everything ? any advice on what seems to last against the wild and which things should I definetley cover up ?? Once I attempted to grow some brocolli at home an it basically vanished within a two day period covered in caterpillars.

binner

• Experienced Member
Re: What to cover ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 18:59 »
if its anything like mine, EVERYTHING :lol:

i too started like you last year, my plot was bare grass so i just grew a few bits but most of it got eaten lol

i think i will be covering all brasicus with debris netting to keep birds and buterflies off, pea netting kept the birds off last year but then you have to pick the catterpillars off, rabbits had carrots and most other stuff before i got the fence done.
have you burried the mesh under ground? rabbits will crawl/dig under it. i now have a solid fence made of old tin roof sheets sunk into the floor
as per my onion thread, pea netting did well untill i removed it to do some weeding and did not put it back :blink:
first year grower

xx
to cover or not to cover.that is the question

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
To cover or not to cover my tomatoes

Started by Anton 2 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2021, 12:51
by Anton 2
xx
To cover or not to cover... that is the question!

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 13, 2023, 12:21
by Aidy
xx
to cover or not

Started by finleyfreyaseth on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2012, 11:36
by Puenktchen

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 31 queries.