Oh no!! Blood on egg again!!

• 10 Replies

jinty1911

Oh no!! Blood on egg again!!
« on: January 12, 2011, 18:13 »
There was blood on Gracies egg again today.  Much more this time and several drops of it in nesting box.  She still seems healthy and eating and scratching about as usual but am really worried now.  Have had her in and can't see any cuts or blood round her vent. Egg wasn't any bigger than her normal tiny ones.  What could be wrong. Help!!!  :(  :(
Jinty

Totty

Re: Oh no!! Blood on egg again!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 20:18 »
Hi, there are lots more experienced people to comment, but, now its wet outside, our eggs always have mud on them, due to the mud on their feet. Have you checked the legs and feet of your chook? Maybe she has a cut that she keeps catching on something. Just an idea.

Totty

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 20:23 »
Really sorry, I have no idea.  Hope all goes well x
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

pekinpete

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 20:45 »
to member who posted this is you bird  just starting to lay because sometimes when straining to lay blood is left on egg as long as no visible signs of ill health of bird it should be alright,when you say blood is it only a smear?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 21:35 »
check the coop for red mite - when she is laing they could be having a snack  >:(
Staffies are softer than you think.

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 16:47 »
to member who posted this is you bird  just starting to lay because sometimes when straining to lay blood is left on egg as long as no visible signs of ill health of bird it should be alright,when you say blood is it only a smear?

She has been laying since September (broody periods excepted).  Mondays egg had a smear on it, Tuesdays was fine, yestedays had a lot of blood on it and drips on bedding.  Todays was ok but found it just outside run (they free range in garden).  No sign of blood anywhere else. 

Think now she has decided to go broody again.  She's all snuggled in nestbox but quick enough to come running out at corn time.
Joyful - will check for mites shortly but it's a new house and I use mite powder every week when I clean out.  Fingers crossed.
Jinty

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 03:19 »
How's Gracie Jinty?  You sometimes get this and it is just a passing phase so nothing to worry about if there's no other signs of illness.  Possibly a small burst blood vessel which will heal especially as she's gone broody.
HF
Truth through science.

jinty1911

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 21:03 »
How's Gracie Jinty?  You sometimes get this and it is just a passing phase so nothing to worry about if there's no other signs of illness.  Possibly a small burst blood vessel which will heal especially as she's gone broody.
HF

Hi Hillfooter
Gracie decided to go broody again after laying the last blooming egg (cant say I blame her).  So problem put off for now.  She is so small and skinny though (breast bone is like a rasor and bare) but she still eating ok when moved out of nest box.  Would usually block off house and box to stop her going in but other 2 are laying and don't want to put them off.  Chickens eh?  :wub:     

pekinpete

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 12:09 »
hillfooter i would move her to a hut on her own to break her from being broody as by what your saying about her condition she's not fit enough to sit ,i use a sussex ark and raise it off ground to about 18ins-24ins to cause a draught under her and if she as just started to sit it should take a couple of days to break her a bit longer if she has been sitting longer,feed her well to get get her in to good condition again

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 18:45 »
hillfooter i would move her to a hut on her own to break her from being broody as by what your saying about her condition she's not fit enough to sit ,i use a sussex ark and raise it off ground to about 18ins-24ins to cause a draught under her and if she as just started to sit it should take a couple of days to break her a bit longer if she has been sitting longer,feed her well to get get her in to good condition again

I think this should be being addressed to Jinty it's her hen not mine.  I was just enquiring after her health.
HF

jinty1911

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 19:22 »
I think this should be being addressed to Jinty it's her hen not mine.  I was just enquiring after her health.
HF
My health is just fine HF  :D and so it Gracies. Thank you for asking.  She's not so broody or unhealthy that she couldn't chase round the garden after prawns tonight. Have been looking for the smoked salmon in the reduced bit in Supermarkt but no luck so far.  If they eat that they like that eat the prawns, I would probably lose my hand.  Gosh they don't even chew them  :D  :D

xx
blood in ya egg

Started by ste23 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2012, 12:54
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Help! Blood everywhere....

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 09:37
by Big Jen
xx
Blood on egg help!!

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 11, 2011, 19:34
by bantam novice
xx
blood in the egg

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 15:30
by muntjac

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 29 queries.