Am I supposed to pinch the tops out ?

• 13 Replies

mrs bouquet

Am I supposed to pinch the tops out ?
« on: May 10, 2009, 17:08 »
Of our runner beans, last year I bought plants ready grown and popped them straight out.  This year we have grown them from seed.   They are out all day, and in the greenhouse by night, and are about 6 to 8 inches high.     But, are the tops supposed to be pinched out at any stage.

2nd question same with dwarf beans, do I pinch those out or not.  Thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Am I supposed to pinch the tops out ?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 17:14 »
No and No Mrs B  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 17:59 »
Oh, I'd have said no. :tongue2:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 18:03 »
Definitely no to the second question, but on the first, I would pinch them out when they reach the top of the (in my plot) 8' canes.   If not, they attract the blackfly.  I was told this by an elderly bloke (who I won't name, Norman :D).  And believe me he's right.  Last year, I didn't pinch them out, and I got blackfly for the first time. :(
Babs

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 18:09 »
I've never piched out the tops of runners & just let them go. I usually find that blackfly occur earlier in the season, rather than when the runners are 3 feet above the canes!

In previous seasons these extra bits have flowered late & given a bonus crop.

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 19:02 »
Of our runner beans, last year I bought plants ready grown and popped them straight out.  This year we have grown them from seed.   They are out all day, and in the greenhouse by night, and are about 6 to 8 inches high.     But, are the tops supposed to be pinched out at any stage.

2nd question same with dwarf beans, do I pinch those out or not.  Thanks,  Mrs Bouquet

i just let mine go,but do train them horizontaly along their fence.

peterjf

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 20:00 »
 i let mine run and run , never pinch out out the growing tip , and yes black fly can be a problem early on , but you cound plant marigolds , ect as companion plants

gobs

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 20:14 »
Norman is mixing it with his broad beans. ::) Not that these can't get black fly, but it is rare.

You can stop runners  whatever hight you want to, it's only for convenience though, some say however, it induces brunching with more crop, but in earnest, there is more than plenty anyway and then some more... :ohmy:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 20:42 »
I know i caused comment last time i posted it  ::) but my dad taught me to pinch the tops of runners out before they reach the top to increase the number of shoots for more flowers and therefore more beans.

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 21:36 »
If your beans are a bit leggy it is a good idea to take out the first running shoots. Two shoots will appear at the first node down and flowers will be produced nearer the bottom of the supports.

Some commercial growers used to grow an early crop of runners by continually pinching out any running shoots. They called these ground beans as they had no need for any support. The beans produced were a bit curly but they fetched a good price. I suspect this practice has now given way to polytunnels and imports.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 22:49 »
thanks every one for your input, its helped alot.  Regards, and thanks again, Mrs Bouquet

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 22:51 »
If your beans are a bit leggy it is a good idea to take out the first running shoots. Two shoots will appear at the first node down and flowers will be produced nearer the bottom of the supports.

Yay someone agrees with my old dad :lol:
I thought i was the only one who had heard of this..........some people on here even suggested i was making an april fools joke :(
So happy now :lol: :tongue2:

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 01:42 »
I'm hoping my runner beans reach the very top of my frame so no pinching out for me.

Dwarf beans are fairly "dwarf" so, unless they get taller than you want I'd not pich these out either.

I guess it depends what you you want - short & stocky or tall and.....loads of beans!!  ;)

Broad beans - pinching out the top once the beans are there can avoid troublesome blackfly on the tips... These I do pinch out.  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Diy-king

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 09:01 »
I pinch my beans when they are about 5 feet high then they produce new shoots from each leaf joint. This method gives me about 300 pounds from 30 plants.
If it brakes get out the hammer
if that does'nt work get a bigger hammer

xx
Pinch out the tops?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 22:50
by Fat Hen
xx
Should I pinch the tops off my toms yet please?

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 20:39
by muntjac
cheesy
To pinch or not to pinch that is the question???

Started by Woodhousemoor on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 13:14
by hamstergbert
xx
To pinch or not to pinch?

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 19:25
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 30 queries.