Need a non-stick recipe for..

• 5 Replies

catllar

Need a non-stick recipe for..
« on: April 23, 2013, 12:58 »
Muffins. I haven't made any for ages and now I know why!

I made a batch of blueberry muffins today using Delia Smith's recipe and they were not good - tasted of baking powder and they stuck like mad to the paper cases = no way to get them released.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a better recipe out there somewhere?

hamstergbert

Re: Need a non-stick recipe for..
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 13:30 »
Hamstergbert's Blueberry Muffins

(serves one very, very greedy hamstergbert, or up to 12 'norms')

100 g      Unsalted butter melted in the microwave (note 1)
120 g      Golden Caster Sugar.  Granulated if you're out of caster.
3       Large eggs.  (see note 2)
150 ml    Semi-skimmed milk, (note 2)
3 tsp      Good quality vanilla extract
OR 2 tsp extract plus 1 tbsp Monin vanilla syrup if you have it in.

240 g      Plain flour
3 tsp      Baking powder
pinch      Salt.
150gm    Blueberries of which keep a couple of dozen aside to stick on top of the muffins.

-  Warm your oven up to 180-190 and load a muffin tray with a dozen paper cases.  The tulip ones if you can get or make them look particularly nice.

-  Throw the sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla extract on top of the melted butter and give the brew a good couple of minutes with an electric hand mixer until the butter is emulsified ie doesn't quickly separate out again when you stop, then another minute or so.

-  Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together then sift on top of the liquid mix.  Sprinkle most the blueberries fairly evenly on the top of the sifted flour etc then very roughly fold in.

- DO NOT OVER-MIX – should be very rough and ready with intermittent glimpses of bits of dry ingredients scattered through the batter.  Most common cause of duff muffins is over-mixing at this point.

-  Scrape the batter into a jug and carefully split between the dozen muffin cases (I find it easiest to put a small dollop into each to settle the case into the tray and then mess about trying to get the rest of the batter split evenly between them all.  Press a couple of the retained blueberries into the top of each muffin.

-  Tray into the oven and bake for about 25 mins.  I usually rotate the tray on the shelf after about 15 mins and check after 20 mins to ensure they are not over-browning.

-  When satisfied with the colour, tray out of the oven and leave the muffins to cool in the tray for 10 – 15 mins, then onto a wire rack to cool fully for a further 30 mins, apart from one extracted for quality control purposes which is OK to check by eating as soon as it feels cool enough.

-   Nice to lightly dust a bit of icing sugar on them once they have cooled fully.  Go nicely with a cup of nice coffee in the garden in the even nicer spring sunshine.

Notes

1.    I generally zap the butter for 20 seconds at a time, leave for half a minute, check consistency then give it more bursts of 10 or 20 secs until it turns.

2.   If you can be that organised, try and take the eggs and milk out of the fridge a couple of hours before you use them so they can crawl up to room temperature.

3.   Depending on your personal preference you may wish to tweak the flavours by grating a bit of nutmeg into the batter along with the flour etc, or even mixing zest of a lemon with the blueberries before you stir them in.

enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 19:27 by hamstergbert »
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 14:25 »
This is a good recipe, which I have used on a number of occasions.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 14:29 »
Wow, I never heard of muffins sticking like that to their papers. Sounds like there wasn't enough 'fat' or liquid in the recipe. You don't want them slimey but you do need enough to make them moist.

Here's my favourite recipe:
1/4 cup butter
1-1/2 golden sugar (or brown)
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 cups blueberries, fresh or thawed frozen ones
1/4 cup additional flour to coat blueberries.

Mix batter in the usual way, bake at 375F for about 20-25 minutes (in individual baking cups).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 18:23 »
I find they stick if you try to eat them too quickly - left to cool completely they come frr from the papers.

My recipe, so you are spoiled for choice  :D

280g selfraising flour,
1 teaspn baking powder
1/2 teaspn salt,
120g sugar,
1 egg,
260ml milk,
90ml corn oil or 85g melted butter or marge
150g blueberries (or any summer berries, large strawberries are best cut up)

makes 12 large muffins.

sift dry ingredients into a bowl and stir wet ingredients in, until just combined. Gently fold in berries.
Bake in the middle of the oven for 25min @ 400F/200C/gas 5

catllar

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 19:39 »
Thanks for all the advice friends -  I'll try a different recipe, thank you - btw, even cold they still stick!

xx
Non stick frying pan

Started by gypsy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 08:49
by gypsy
xx
Stick blender recommendations?

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post January 08, 2014, 19:29
by Yorkie
xx
looking for a recipe I used to have

Started by starry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 20:32
by cob nut
xx
Hortopita recipe

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post October 23, 2015, 09:05
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 29 queries.