Help, whats wrong?

• 7 Replies

olly perks

Help, whats wrong?
« on: October 03, 2009, 17:47 »
Hi out there in chook land. Wonder if anyone knows what could be up with our new chooks?

we have had chooks before, the last one died a few months ago aged about 2 and a half. Got some new ones from an auction a week ago. They are a different breed (buff orpingtons). we ended up with two pairs, so 2 hens 2 cockerels(not ideal but they are still young so they arent fighting yet.) They sre very quiet and calm things, and live quite happily with the breeding trio of light sussex we also came home with from the auction! Put them away last night, all seemed fine, but when we went down this morning to let them out, one of the female buffs was dead under the nest box. No idea why as they were fine all day yesterday. on closer inspection she did have a full crop, but surely this wouldnt have killed her, or at least not this quickly. We are worried now because the other buff hen is not very lively and seems to have a weepy eye. We cleaned the shed out before putting them in it and dusted the whole place for mites. Theres no other obvious signs of illness. Any ideas?
 :unsure:

grumpydad

Re: Help, whats wrong?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 20:10 »
sorry you have lost a new chuck, but without an autopsy it could be lots of problems, have you made sure that they did not have any mites or lice ?
would only say to keep the coop and run clean, give a tonic, poultry spice or lifeguard, and if a chuck looks under the weather get them checked by a vet.

i was advised when i started that if a chuck looked poorly then they were really ill, which has proved to be the case.

olly perks

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 10:10 »
Thanks for the advice, i'll get a tonic for them. All still alive at the moment but they seem to have a bit of a cough and one of the cockerels has started with a weepy eye. Poor things.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 10:14 »
they need antibiotics...you need to get them to a vet :)

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 10:30 »
Were they bought from different sellers?  I take it you didn't keep them separated when you got them home?  It is quite likely that one or more of your birds had an underlying infection (possibly coryza or mycoplasma) and the stress of the sale and the move has brought it out.

Immediately I would isolate any birds which are showing signs or symptoms.  A trip to the vet is in order, as they may need antibiotics (you will have to treat all of your birds).

Lastly, and I'm sure you know this really, but having 3 cocks and 3 hens is not an ideal situation - even if the cocks aren't fighting now, they will start eventually, as you really need 6-8 hens per cock bird.  With so few hens, the cocks will wear them out.  My cockerel is only 22 weeks and yet he is at the girls (when they don't tell him off!) enough that 80% of my eggs are fertile (and this is 1 cockerel to 8 hens)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 18:14 »
olly perks how are they today?

The chicken that died could have had compaction of the crop.

But if they have runny bubbly eyes they they will need antibiotics (you can only get these from your vet)
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

olly perks

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 17:36 »
Thank everyone! you guys really do hustle! Not doing too bad today, all still alive but eyes very weepy. Have talked to the vet and he says possibly myoplasma(?) and antibiotics for definate so thats what we're doing. He says they usually respond well so fingers crossed. Thanks again all xx

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 20:05 »
Stress brought out Mycoplasma in one of my new hens and after a course of antibiotics she's fine  :D There's also Poultry Booster that can go in their water which is good for stress, it's a sort of tonic.
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

xx
Whats wrong with her?

Started by chooky on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 09:11
by nettynoodles1
xx
whats wrong with my hen?

Started by dhutchie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 18:27
by joyfull
question
whats wrong?

Started by loretta cluck on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 17:38
by Sassy
xx
Whats wrong ???

Started by GaryH on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 17:55
by Pol

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 36 queries.