Slugs in compost bin - good or bad?

• 5 Replies

Wild Willow

Slugs in compost bin - good or bad?
« on: June 21, 2013, 21:01 »
I've had slugs in my compost bin over the winter and have tried several times to find out whether they are helpful or really bad news.  I've gotten advice on both sides; some say good, some say bad. Does anyone have any advice/experience with this?

Thanks!

Char  :)

snowdrops

Re: Slugs in compost bin - good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 21:16 »
they will eat the waste which is not bad in itself,it's if there are eggs & then you spread them on the plot,they then hatch out & you have more of the blighters. having said that I tend to leave them to it,unless I'm collecting others to feed to the chickens-not mine, I feel a bit guilty as sometimes when I thow them in I see the hens not eating them,oops it's on someone else's plot.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 22:12 »
I don't know enough about the pros & cons, but I have read that they are good in the compost bin. As regards them laying eggs in the compost would the eggs survive the heat of the bin? My bin is in full sun & gets very hot when the suns out.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 00:16 »
I believe Bob Flowerdew collects his slugs and puts them in the compost bins where they do what they're good at...breaking down organic matter. We might not like the little bu***rs but they are part of the natural cycle.

Wild Willow

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 14:20 »
Thanks guys!

It sounds like it's not a disaster to have them in the bin so I'll hope there are not a hundred little slug babies crawling in my garden as we speak!  I have to say though that I've not seen much slug damage this year which seems odd since we had all that rain last year and it's not been overly dry lately but I'm not complaining!  :)

Char

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 15:51 »
I opened my bin yesterday and there were loads of those huge fat brown slugs all over the inside and sides of the lid. I gave them some veg scraps and put the lid back on, quick  :)  It might be because of heavy rain that there seems so many.  In a dry spell you won't notice them so much.  I've never noticed slugs in my  finished compost as it's fairly dry, so by then they hopefully will have slithered off the pastures new

xx
Slugs and compost

Started by rawrecruit on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 19:45
by rawrecruit
xx
Slugs in compost Dalek

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 09:07
by JayG
xx
Coir compost and slugs, beneficial ?

Started by Barry C on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2017, 09:47
by madcat
xx
home made compost and baby slugs

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 18:27
by lovemyveg

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 28 queries.