blueberries and raspberries

• 7 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
blueberries and raspberries
« on: September 01, 2009, 22:14 »
When I was sinking in the undergrowth today at my allotment I discovered a blueberry under a whole pile of grass and also a raspberry.  Weeds are so long you can't see half of what is there still.  Keep half expecting a snake to come jumping out at me when I move things :o)

Not sure whether to try and save them or is it not worth the hassle?  There was a label in the shed that said autumn bliss on it, don't know if that is the raspberry or whether that's just a really old label that got left lying about.

There is a box of seeds in the shed too, should I use them or just bin them and get new? 

noshed

Re: blueberries and raspberries
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 22:21 »
Autumn bliss will be the raspberry. Blueberries need an acid soil so make sure yours is watered with rainwater if your soil is chalky.
Some seeds will be fine but parsnips don't keep. Give them a go.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 22:24 »
Autumn bliss is (as its name suggets!) an autumn fruiting rasberry. If the lables there Id hazard a guess thats what the raspberry is.  Once its finished  cut it down to the ground and then tackle the weeds. Thatll soon tell you next year!

Blueberries prefer acidic soil, so you could possibly dig it up and replant in a container with erichaceous compost, where it will give a lovely yield without much trouble at all, Im going to treat myself to one this year hopefully

You can give the seeds a spin I guess, but I personally wouldnt and just buy fresh

PS, please come back to post as I will be now worried about the possibility of snakes  :lol:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

MoreWhisky

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 09:20 »
Definatly try saving the blueberry at least , Im getting at handfull every time i go down to the plot these last few weeks , very nice.

hope there are some for me today ).
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:27 »
OK will try that then, no idea what type of soil it is yet but it did have a few berries on so maybe acidic anyway given it's been there for a year without watering and not died as yet :o)

I wouldn't have known they needed acidic soil without checking so that is very helpful.

They are nice, I make some muffins with them and rice flour sometimes but not very often because they are so expensive!  All soft fruit seems to cost a fortune in the shops and I don't understand why because from what I've read they all seem reasonably easy to grow provided you can stop them getting eaten by creatures.  Could be the storage I guess as they go off pretty quick.

Sue33

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 10:37 »

wow - lucky you, it's amazing what survives isn't it, we had a couple of gooseberries bushes on our plot that had been taken over by brambles!  Pick those blueberries pretty smart quick tho, the birds ate all mine over a weekend when we couldn't get down to the lottie  >:(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 13:59 »
Whether you move the blueberry or leave it where it is don't forget that it will pollinate better with another blueberry variety planted nearby.

I have had 2 bushes for about 3 years now and have yet to get more than a handful of ripe berries due to their appeal to birds.  I thought mine were pretty well netted this year but I found a very persistent young blackbird inside the netting at least 4 times this year! (Yes, it got out safely on each occasion)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 14:46 »
We have four blueberry bushes, one is 3 years and the other three are in their second year. 

No special soil treatment as we are on the edge of a pine forest and that's what they like.
We even have wild blueberries growing along our garden border!

I mulch them with pine needle mulch that we scrape off the forest floor. They seem to like that too.

The two year old plants are still quite small, we never netted, AND have a hungry three year old, and still managed to freeze about 4lbs of blueberries.

I look forward to them really establishing in the next couple of years. At prices here i reckon we've had nearly €50 worth of fruit.

Well worth keeping in my opinion.
Liv.

xx
Pruning Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackcurrants

Started by DopeyAlex on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2010, 02:40
by Trillium
xx
Feeding apples, raspberries and blueberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2016, 18:52
by Trikidiki
xx
raspberries, blackberries and blueberries from cuttings

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 08:32
by mumofstig
xx
Blueberries.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 19:07
by Brambles

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 33 queries.