what's the best digging spade on the market??

• 20 Replies

scott87

Re: what's the best digging spade on the market??
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 00:47 »
I've never been to a shop and purchased a new fork or spade, instead i have looked around boot fairs etc for the old fashioned strapped style spades/forks/shovels, that can always be re-handled at a length to suit the individual etc not always the easiest option but maybe worth keeping your eyes open.

happy hunting

Tried that route, got a traditional digging fork looked in good condition and that snapped(steel prongs). I'm off to buy some wolf gear tomoz. and get loads of my jungle double dug for next year

fatcat1955

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 08:08 »
Bulldog professional range is reputed to be the best, many local authorities and rail companies use them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:15 by DD. »

Headgardener22

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 08:43 »
With regard to standing on the soil..  I started hoe'ing at the furthest point and worked backwards.  Am I doing it wrong?  With regards to the angle I know what you mean.  Although it does make me re-think digging in general and has made me try different angles of attack :)
It seems perfect for trenching though
I work forward. That way you cut into the undug soil and break it up towards you, cut a row and then take a small step forward. Eventually, you're standing on dug soil cutting up new. I can't think how to do it working backwards.

Going to look on YouTube.  ::)

Found a video on youtube. Search for "azada" and you'll see how he does it. But if you've got a way that works without standing on the dug soil, i'd be interested to know.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:02 by Headgardener22 »

scott87

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 13:49 »
Well well well lady and gents, just rocked up at acorn garden supplies, picked up a wolf and it was nice, a tad heavy but nice, maybe a little flat. I had a quick look at the top end bulldogs and picked up a premier BD and that was it fell in love with it. Perfect angle blade, light, well balanced. This spade although 15 more notes was a must. Quick nutty and brew then off for a dig

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 05:45 »
With regard to standing on the soil..  I started hoe'ing at the furthest point and worked backwards.  Am I doing it wrong?  With regards to the angle I know what you mean.  Although it does make me re-think digging in general and has made me try different angles of attack :)
It seems perfect for trenching though
I work forward. That way you cut into the undug soil and break it up towards you, cut a row and then take a small step forward. Eventually, you're standing on dug soil cutting up new. I can't think how to do it working backwards.

Going to look on YouTube.  ::)

Found a video on youtube. Search for "azada" and you'll see how he does it. But if you've got a way that works without standing on the dug soil, i'd be interested to know.

I started at the furthest point and worked along a line (left to right).  Once that line was dug over I stepped back a touch and began again.  you can see where you've already "dug" so following the line and just keep repeating.  Yes you do strike the already dug soil slightly, but that just serves to loosen it further.  I didn't realise I was doing it wrong ??  Still, It works for me and I now prefer it to a spade.

grendel

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 15:45 »
I work away from the dug section with my azada too, just sink it in using its weight - use the leverege of the handle to loosen, then next row I chop through the part dug clod  from the previous row, if you get a good swing going you can get a 30 foot row dug in a few (breathless) minutes, I generally follow up using a fork or my rotovator.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

xx
New digging spade

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 03:08
by Trillium
xx
New spade!

Started by Browser on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 20:10
by Browser
question
new spade

Started by Helencroft on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 21:39
by Yorkie
xx
Spade vs Fork

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 14:28
by chimaera

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 33 queries.