Worms.

• 2 Replies

Pat4d

Worms.
« on: April 17, 2012, 16:01 »
I will have had my 4 ex battery hens for a month on the 22nd April. Whilst poo picking on Saturday I noticed what I thought might be a worm. I have found pictures today of what looks very similar saying it is a worm.
The chickens have been having Diatom mixed with their feed for nearly 2 weeks now and I wonder if this is what has killed the worm for it to be passed.
I ordered Flubenvet yesterday and they will be put on a course of it immediately, my question is do the eggs they are producing now pose a threat to humans consuming them?
Also I am putting their waste on the garden; I am assuming this definitely puts my dogs at greater risk than usual.
Any feedback appreciated as these are my first chickens.
Thanks,
Pat.

ehs284

Re: Worms.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 17:07 »
There is no risk from eating the eggs. Handling the poo could theoretically infect you - but you have to eat it, so normal good hygiene is sufficient. The dogs are at a greater risk than if you didn't have birds with worms, but worms are so common in wild birds, mice, rabbits etc that the increased risk is very slight. If in doubt compost the waste and the temperature rise will kill the pathogens. Few roundworm or tapeworm eggs will survive longer than 6 weeks even if spread in faeces. I don't know much about plants, but have heard that hen manure is so strong that it can kill plants and gardeners are advised to compost/dilute before putting on the soil. In summary don't worry. HTH

Pat4d

Re: Worms.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:16 »
Thanks for the feedback. Good News.
With regard to the garden the poo is being put in a section ready for use next year, so it should have broken down well by then.

Cheers.

xx
Worms in heap -good , worms in hens - bad.

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 08:37
by ehs284
question
worms

Started by chook-chook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 18:05
by bantam novice
xx
Worms

Started by Fredjones on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 20:06
by Fredjones
xx
worms

Started by Geo on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 21:19
by joyfull

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 28 queries.