Sweetcorn

• 5 Replies

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn
« on: August 01, 2006, 16:22 »
Thanks to John i think (soz if its not cant remember who told me now) i have 114 sweetcorn plants and they all have 2/3 sweetcorns each the problem i have is im not going to be able to eat a minimum of 114 sweetcorns b4 the go off... is there away to store them? Could i dip them in boiling water, then straight into cold water and shove them in the freezer? would they keep fresh?? thanks in advance to whoever reply's :)

O and another note, runnerbeans and peas r fab this yr!! :)
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

Jake

• Rockers
Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 17:19 »
:shock:

Blimey, 250+ corn cobs!!! Perhaps you should make it into ethanol and sell it to the states. You'd be rich.lol

You could also buy a pig to fatten.

Is pop corn any different to normal corn?

I don't know what i'd do with all those cobs.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Sweetcorn
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 18:40 »
You can blanch the corn on the cob and cut the kernals off to store in the freezer. Do you have a garden mulcher/shredder machine? You could chuck the cobs into that to chop up the leftover cobs for the compost... Alternatively there's Corn Cob Jelly. Never tried it but it apparently works... something about boiling corn cobs (I guess there's pectin in it naturally?).

I think popcorn is different. You can buy popcorn varieties specifically and you need to dry and "cure" it carefully from what I've read (I love popcorn and I was considering growing the "strawberry popcorn" variety that organic catalogue sells).
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Sweetcorn
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 18:44 »
corn cob jelly recipe Liquid fruit pectin would be Certo here in the UK, found in with other baking ingredients. 3fl oz is about 88ml

milkman

Sweetcorn
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 21:07 »
I'm growing strawberry popcorn this year.  Grew it for the first time last year.  Left the cobs to mature on the plants into the autumn then dug up the entire plants and moved them into the greenhouse when the weather turned a a bit damp.  When things started showing signs of going mouldy (I will probably try and miss out the mouldy stage this year!) removed the cobs from the plants, removed the husks and continued drying them in the airing cupboard.  Once reasonably dry stored them just in a kitchen cupboard.  

Made lovely white popcorn coating the kernels in a dash of oil in a saucepan and heating the mixture till they all went pop!

Not sure if you could make popcorn out of the usual sweetcorn varieties - it could be worth a try, especially if you are growing enough sweetcorn to feed the entire population of Ystradgynlais  :tongue2:   We sell popping popcorn in our shop which looks remarkably like sweetcorn seeds.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 12:30 »
my lil guinea pigs will eat all the cobs lol i may just set up a stall nxt yr in ystrad market and sell all my veg and "sweetcorns" lol i wont have to work lol thanks for the ideas guys :)

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 12:56
by Godhelm
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 19:44
by Benandbill
xx
sweetcorn

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 09:45
by Kristen
xx
sweetcorn????

Started by lisa80 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 20:49
by kittiwake

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 28 queries.