Questions re incubation

• 2 Replies

Prod

Questions re incubation
« on: November 21, 2013, 17:04 »
I have just bought some Nankin eggs to put in my new incubator (first time of use)  I should get them tomorrow & I know they have to stand approx. a day before putting them in. The thing is that there are only 6 so I thought I would buy some more, probably Silkies, but I probably wont get those till tues/weds.  Is that to long to keep the Nankin eggs?  and as they are bantam  should I still use the setting for hens (i.e. not quail) Thanks  (any other advice gladly accepted!!!)

Casey76

Re: Questions re incubation
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 14:07 »
Hi Prod, have you done much hatching before?

I have to say, you are choosing a difficult time of year to start hatching; fertility is usually pretty low during winter, especially approaching the shortest day, unless the hens and cockerel have been kept under lights and indoors/sheds.  Secondly bantams hatching just before Christmas are going to take a lot of TLC, and may not grow as large as they would have done if hatched in early spring.

Have you double checked with your feed supplier that you can still buy chick crumbs (I know chick crumbs disappear from my agri centre in about September).

If you have all of that sorted out... next set of questions:

Do you have a second incubator?  If no, then I would incubate this one set of 6 eggs before starting off any others.  You should still use the hen setting, but be aware that  bantams may hatch as early as day 19, so I'd be tempted to stop turning at day 17 rather than the usual 18.  this is on reason why, unless you have a dedicated hatching incubator/hatcher, you shouldn't mix bantam and LF eggs in an incubator.

When you get the eggs, keep them pointy end down for 24 hours in a cool (not cold) room.  This gives the air sac time to restabilise.

Prod

Re: Questions re incubation
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 17:16 »
Hi  and thanks for the advice   yes this is my first time   and I will stick with just the 6 eggs I have.  They are from a trusted source and a good breeder, as you may know Nankins are considered a rare breed and buying adults is difficult and  usually they are so far away from me like Ireland or Northumbria. I wanted to try hatching now so I have new stock for the spring.  My partner has let me bring the incubator into the house so it is in a quiet corner and, as I am retired, I have all day to look after things.  That said I really appreciate your advice but I think it is worth giving it a go just for my experience & hopefully I will get some results!!!!

xx
Why is it done this way? Incubation questions

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 17:45
by nuzuki
xx
Duck egg incubation questions

Started by Parrot on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 13:52
by diamond_lil
xx
Incubation

Started by chicksforkicks on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 27, 2007, 11:20
by psipower
question
incubation

Started by waffles on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 14:00
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 36 queries.