peas

• 27 Replies

Snoop

Re: peas
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 09:21 »
I have to keep mine covered at all times against our hoards of pigeons.

Good to see you treasure your pigeons and keep them safely stored, DD!  :)

(Definitely no offence meant.)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 09:43 »
Well, I wasn't going to mention it, but seeing as Growster brought it up.............

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50902.0
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 11:33 »
Hi all.
        Thanks for the replies, in answer to the problem of unsteady guttering i have used 5ft lengths which
        are quite stable , if i slide the peas out in 2 goes  ie half the gutter length i should be alright.
I have used guttering in the past which I put in my greenhouse to germinate and supported it on two bricks to keep it level so the water doesn't run out at one end, and shoved each end into two plastic plant pots to stop the soil washing out when watering. I used to push them out in their compost lengthwise but it scrumpled them all up, so I found it easier to lay the guttering on its side in my pea trench and scoop the whole lot out sideways. This meant less disturbance for the peas and kept their spacings as sown, plus you can pre- measure your guttering length to ensure your pea trench will be the right size to accomodate them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Robster

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 17:49 »
I had the same issue GG.  I didn't think of your solution!!

I must have the most pampered peas on these boards.  I started them all off in root trainers.  Some early onward and some Alderman.  I did so some outside as well.  I've never been really successful at peas and its one of my goals this year.  I appreciated MOS's comment about tying them on I expect my Alderman would have been all along the ground and a mess.

Our real pest is deer I think.  Last year they nibbled all the bean tops.  I expect they'd like peas even more so I'm going to net appropriately for them.

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 20:26 »
Peas are a joke put about 15 seeds in their own pots, put them in my indoor greenhouse AND nothing, out of the 15 I have done I got one plant complete waste of time.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 20:48 »
They often rot in their pots if they are too wet .................

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 21:21 »
You can kill with kindness.

All this faffing - I just let mine get on with it!  ;)

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 22:11 »
You can kill with kindness.

All this faffing - I just let mine get on with it!

Agreed! I just chuck mine in and let them get on with it. The only thing I do is cover with debris netting to stop the pigeons killing them off as they come up.

My wife sowed our peas last year and she dutifully popped one pea down every 3" or whatever the spacing was. The pea harvest was awful. I sowed a later batch, made a row with a hoe, chucked in a load of seeds and had a fantastic crop.

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 07:09 »
Peas keep their own diaries don't they!

We always sow the blighters in succession during the year, and expect some sowings to be just awful, while the weedy ones we chuck in late one evening just as we're going home, thrive and produce pods the size of aircraft engines...

They don't have the same death wish that cucumbers have, but they obviously read the same newspapers...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 08:53 »
Peas keep their own diaries don't they!

We always sow the blighters in succession during the year, and expect some sowings to be just awful, while the weedy ones we chuck in late one evening just as we're going home, thrive and produce pods the size of aircraft engines...

They don't have the same death wish that cucumbers have, but they obviously read the same newspapers...

I can just imagine them all sitting around on up-turned plant pots when we have gone indoors, muttering to themselves  :lol: :lol:

Ooooh, juts recalled that the Indian name for peas is actually Mutter (or Muttar, depending on where you get your translations done!).   :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 09:04 »
Are those the chick peas in 'Bombay Mix', Sunny?

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 09:06 »
Well, I wasn't going to mention it, but seeing as Growster brought it up.............

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50902.0

Life just wouldn't be the same without an annual airing of those fabulous pics, DD!

It's rather like waiting for Easter so we can watch 'Zulu', or 'The great Escape'!

Snoop

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 09:12 »
Life just wouldn't be the same without an annual airing of those fabulous pics, DD!

It's rather like waiting for Easter so we can watch 'Zulu', or 'The great Escape'!

Ditto. :D

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
peas

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 19:43
by mattwragg94
xx
peas

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2016, 15:37
by hiccup

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 30 queries.