potting on onion seedlings

• 27 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: potting on onion seedlings
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 18:41 »
When they are 4 ins or so tall, they get planted out in a clump, about 15ins apart in each direction, in early April

(I'll be interested to see what Aunt Sally says as my info comes from 'Grow it!' mag from this month)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AndyRVTR

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 20:51 »
I'm following Medwyn Williams method having never grown large (exhibition size) onions from seed before. I sowed mine on Boxing Day into polystyrene boxes used for transporting leeks, then about 10 days ago I potted them on into 50 module trays using JI no.2.
As soon as they show 3 leaves they will be potted on into some 3" square pots that I have and in March they will be potted on again into 5" pots using JI no.2 and soil from the plot.
I agree that it's a bit of a faff on but if it works for Mr Williams it's good enough for me.... :D

gobs

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 23:06 »
I've never potted them on either. they just go out into ground from seed tray. End off.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 00:10 »
Before I started playing with sets I used to plant all onions from seed. I scattered a packet of seed in a long growing tub, watered and left them in the conservatory or bedroom window to germinate and start growing and then in greenhouse or to grow.. when they were ready for planting they were at least 3-4mm thick and just pulled them up and planted out. Sow seeds in winter and sow in spring. No need for modules or thinning out at all. Simples..   :D
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Salmo

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 08:18 »
The spacing works like this.

If you would normally plant at 4 inch spacing you get 30 in a 10 foot row.

If you have 3 to a module and plant 1 foot apart you get 30 in a 10 ft row.

One big advantage of planting like this is that you can hoe between the clumps until the plants are quite big.

I actually put a pinch of seeds in each module so that there are 5/6 onions in each. I plant them out like this and then take out the weakest plants as spring onions as they grow.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 08:26 »
That is the logic of it Salmo, but if you wanted exhibition sized bulbs it is not going to give them.

As I see it, I want bulbs we can use in the kitchen, and donlt want to hoe round individual bulbs if there is a way to avoid it and still get decent onions.

So I am glad this has worked for you (Mine are germnating now -- all their little knuckles are showing above ground  :lol: )

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 09:07 »
Last year was my first ever attempt at onions from seeds.

Painstakingly sowed 40 seeds individually into modules, and pretty much 100% germinated. A month later only 10 survived, probably damping off due to a combination of too cold in the greenhouse (not my fault) and compost too wet (my fault!)  :nowink:

This year I've sown about the same number but all in the same 6" deep supermarket meat tray, carefully spaced to avoid any need for thinning. Only just through now in the kitchen, but will move to the greenhouse in a few weeks time, and water sparingly from underneath!

I expect to be able to just turf them all out of the box in a couple of months and plant directly outside - basically this is the same method which seems to work well for leeks (but earlier.)

Time will tell, but hopefully I will avoid the problems I had last year, although the 10 survivors did actually produce pretty good bulbs eventually.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 09:08 »
Now I am glad I watered mine from underneath yesterday  :lol: :lol: :lol:

AlistairMcLennan

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden Plan 2013
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 12:45 »
JayG - Have you got a heated Greenhouse?  I am thinking of doing onions from seed but waiting on my Propane bottle coming from Calor as the local stockists only have butane on stock.

If heated, what Temp do you set it to?

cheers

AL
Happiness is trying something new even if it doesnt work.

http://gardenplanner.suttons.co.uk/garden-plan.aspx?p=352012

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 13:13 »
They don't need much heat. 

I have mine in an electric propergator but I'm not certain they really need it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 13:16 by Aunt Sally »

Nobbie

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 13:44 »
First attempt at growing onion from seed these are a red variety called Karman. Wish i'd read this post before i sowed them  could have saved myself some work, spent all of 99p on them bargain got the seeds pot's and compost, can't wait for them to come up, how sad am i ?? :)

I've just got some of those as I'm sick of the red sets always bolting :( I'll try the 4 seeds in each module and we can compare results later in the season :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 13:51 »
Did mine in a plastic bag indoors.

Went into the frost free greenhouse as soon as they showed and are doing fine.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 14:50 »
JayG - Have you got a heated Greenhouse?  I am thinking of doing onions from seed but waiting on my Propane bottle coming from Calor as the local stockists only have butane on stock.

No heat Alistair - I'll keep an eye on night-time temperatures when they go out into the greenhouse, but the way I see it they'll almost certainly have to face some frosts after they get planted out in early April so they might as well get used to it sooner rather than later!

xx
Senior moment with potting on onion seedlings!

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 00:20
by Salmo
xx
Potting on Tomato seedlings

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 17:21
by Chrysalis
xx
Potting on tomato seedlings

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 18:00
by DD.
xx
Potting on and pricking out seedlings

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 22:28
by Howard

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 37 queries.