soft shells

• 13 Replies

andy46

• Experienced Member
soft shells
« on: July 07, 2014, 18:38 »
I have 4 hens and every day they seem to take it in turns to lay a soft shelled egg. I have no idea why they have ablib layers pellets and access to oyster shell and fresh water everyday.They are all happy and well looked after please can someone give me some advice :(
Pull up a perch!!

grinling

Re: soft shells
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 21:59 »
age/type/bubbly eyes/wheezy?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 09:39 »
are you sure they are taking it in turns and not the same one or two laying the soft shells.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:01 »
Agree Joyfull, likely to be the same hen/s. You could try feeding some limestone flour, available from agricultural/equestrian suppliers, just in case they are struggling for whatever reason with lack of calcium. Hens that are laying soft-shelled eggs are getting a lot taken out of them, they are a real struggle to lay. So you could try a general supplement, eg Poultry Spice. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 12:28 »
Also ensure they have dark leafy greens to help absorb any sources of calcium :)

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 18:40 »
They are 4 warrens and 2 yrs old there is no runny eyes or nose. As i am on hols this week i have kept an eye on the next box and all the seem to take in turns its baffled me.They have had some savoy cabbage today and they have poultry spice already only had 2 eggs today will see what happens in the next couple of days but any more advice would be cool thanks  ;)

grinling

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 22:14 »
did you have from POL or rescue?
how long has this been occuring?
Look at each eye for bubbling and hold each bird for a few minutes and listen for chest noises.
People have been known to put sick hens in a free range place and get some new ones or even old birds for new ones.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 12:37 »
pol they where only 17 weeks when i got then from the farm its been going on for about a week now am thinking about flubenvet but they where wormed in march so really dont want to do it sept.would some acv be of any help? only had 2 eggs today and they are good shells.

grinling

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 22:47 »
How old are they now? You got them from a farm, do they sell lots of hens or are they an egg farm producer? How soon did they start laying after you collected them?
My concern is that they might be ill birds which has been sold onto you. If you have only had these a few weeks, contact the sellers and see what they say.
Have you been able to check for bubbling in the eye/s and chest sounds. Picking the birds up and having a good look will help to see the signs as you cannot do so otherwise.
Also ask why a baby chick less than 6 weeks was wormed.

splash101

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 08:11 »
If they are 2 years old, egg production may well slow right down or even stop.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 09:22 »
If they are 2 years old, egg production may well slow right down or even stop.

I think this is more likely the answer if the birds seem in good health.

pol they where only 17 weeks when i got then from the farm its been going on for about a week now am thinking about flubenvet but they where wormed in march so really dont want to do it sept.would some acv be of any help? only had 2 eggs today and they are good shells.

A week is not that long - it could be something changed, maybe a stress factor such as a weather pattern shift (eg too hot, thunderstorms), maybe coming into moult, a new visitor or something unfamiliar.

Worming them might not necessarily have anything to do with soft shelled eggs but it might be worth treating them so that you can tick the box as done and be sure that it is not the problem rather than whittle about it for another couple of months.

Calcium is insoluble in acidic conditions, so perhaps ACV is not the answer here.  I'd go with earlier suggestions and add a little limestone flour to a mash meal (maybe with a small amount of cod liver oil - if nothing else, the vitamin D will help to strengthen their bones if there is a calcium absorption problem) as well as some dark leafy greens (perhaps avoid spinach and chard as these contain oxalates which bind with calcium)  If they have been having other treats, it might be an idea to cut these out as they could be feasting on those and not so much on the layers.

Talking of layers pellets - maybe give the sack/bag a good shake of the the contents as sometimes the supplements can settle down to the bottom giving an uneven distribution.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:23 by BabbyAnn »

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 13:50 »
One of my girls lays soft shell eggs.  I got her along with 3 others from the same breeder last summer and she was just about POL then. Once the other two got into the swing of it they lay normal eggs but I have come to the conclusion (after worming and giving her supplements etc as suggested above) that she can't produce shell.  I am hoping that she will eventually lay normal eggs but suspect that this is how it is for her.  She is in good health so I am not worrying too much.

They are silkies so their egg production is a bit erratic in any event - it was better when we had the horrid weather in January than in the warm sunshine in June  :wacko:

helens-hens

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 14:12 »
From my own experience I have found hybrid hens start to have this problem at about 2 years (in a commercial setting they probably would have been culled by this stage as egg production deteriorates).

Just keep an eye on them and try and identify which hen(s) have the problem.

One of mine, a brown ranger, has just reached 2 years and had been laying the odd thin shelled egg for a couple of months. About a month ago she had a prolapse whilst trying to lay a thin shelled egg and to try & avoid the risk of this happening again (or egg peritonitis) she has had a hormonal implant to stop her laying.
Helen

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 11:44 »
Thanks guys have stopped treats for now and they have green cabbage and a small hand full of corn before bed. will keep an eye on them just for now and see if things settle down. ;) ;)

xx
Soft Shells

Started by Mrs Mant on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 14:30
by alisonwo
xx
soft shells/old age?????

Started by SUTTY1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 02, 2010, 20:16
by SUTTY1
xx
soft egg shells

Started by Sue33 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 09:25
by Sue33
question
soft egg shells

Started by mears on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 23:23
by mears

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 30 queries.