• 2319 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #2220 on: November 11, 2012, 18:35 »
Beautiful sunny day and little wind so got loads done

Cut out the last two years' worth of old growth from the summer raspberries (too ill last year to do it) and cut down the Autumn raspberries. Trimmed up the canes to use next year for the peas.

Cleared out the mintunnel completely as all the strawberries went to feed voles this year

Dug over and covered up the bed where the runner beans had been

Cut down the asparagus and weeded the bed

Cut back the buddleia around the plot

and then harvested mustard greens, leeks (onto the maincrops now) a radiccchio and some decent sized parsnips, plus a huge florence fennel too

Dug up the begonia tubers for the winter and cleared away all the frosted plants from the flower tubs, Just silver cineraria left in them. Too tired to put in the tulips though
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #2221 on: November 11, 2012, 18:56 »
Tidied up the brassica cage and halved the size ready to dig in some manure for next years spuds.

Yana

« Reply #2222 on: November 11, 2012, 19:29 »
Collected manure from stables and used it to cover established rhubarb bed and new fruit beds over the winter.Put loads in (very) raised beds that will grow squash and pumpkins next year.
Topped up first compost bin with ....... Yep....... More manure and covered with plastic to keep it dry over the winter.
Put together second compost bin and attached slats to the front to hold back the stuff when it goes in next year. 
Put two pallets on the top of each bin and screwed them to the top of the bin and hinged them together so can lift the top back as I remove compost from the first bin (during next year) and fill the second bin and keep it covered all the time. Was really pleased with it and what I got done today.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2223 on: November 11, 2012, 20:29 »
Had a lovely afternoon at the plot - nice summer, autumnal day with clear skies and beautiful sea views!

We prepared the new raspberry bed (yet to be planted) with manure and the first bucket of wood ash from the fire.

We planted up some early variety strawberries, french beans, lettuce and spring onions in the GH.

We then (at last) planted up onion setts in sand on the new plot - our attempt at reducing the impact of white rot.  The other bed was also finished ready for garlic and shallots.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

allot2learn

« Reply #2224 on: November 11, 2012, 21:24 »
Dug a 14' x 14' bed ready for the manure to go on next month.
I do believe that I'm getting the better of the perennial weeds, as I only ended up with half a barrow load. It's a bit heavy going but I can't keep waiting for better weather at this time of year.
Back tomorrow for another session.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2225 on: November 12, 2012, 16:57 »
Planted lots of bulbs in the front garden.  I used myco-whatsit fungi, so I'll be interested to see if it makes a difference.
Anne

Paul Plots

« Reply #2226 on: November 14, 2012, 12:00 »
Today is a lovely day and I'd very much enjoy getting to the plot but I think I'll be stuck near to home. Might make it onto the little veg plot out back if I'm lucky.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Moonshine132435

• Aquired my plot on 13th April, a little daunting!
« Reply #2227 on: November 14, 2012, 13:39 »
Today I got the garlic planted; I'd left it too long and some of the bulbs had started to go off but there may not be a better opportunity for planting this year so in they went.

I also got a whole load of new strawberry (Sonara) plants in, so took out the sickly old ones and replanted them on the weed-matting covered bed.

And finally, used some bottles and jars to prop up the fleece covering my spring onion seedlings, hoping that it becomes slightly less attractive to the foxes who seem keen to use it for their convenience.
Aquired a full plot on 13th April; exited and a little awed in equal measure.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2228 on: November 14, 2012, 13:40 »
I tried - but it's too wet to dig  :( So I just got some of the big rooted weeds up where I could get them from the walking boards.
Took down the pumpkin wigwam and had a bit of a tidy in the shed cos I couldn't get in there :blush:

Home for lunch and a cuppa then back with the shears and pruning saw to do some serious hedge trimming.

jmc1949

« Reply #2229 on: November 14, 2012, 14:21 »
Same here, too wet to dig, so tidied up the canes, stored them and then dismantled the bean frame.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #2230 on: November 14, 2012, 17:43 »
Beautiful autumnal day today - blue skies and sunny.  I was gutted that I had to be elsewhere  >:(  So, a brief visit for me to the site where I put up signs for the upcoming working party to clear the hazel coppice at the end of the month.

allotmentann

« Reply #2231 on: November 14, 2012, 17:57 »
It was too wet to dig, but I had eighteen raspberry canes that had to be planted, and hard work it was too! I did a little light weeding, then just sat and enjoyed the plot and the sunshine for half an hour and it was beautiful :)

Poolcue

• Peter's garden and allotment
« Reply #2232 on: November 14, 2012, 20:07 »
Planted 2 rows of Super aquadulce,took down all of my Runner beans and harvested Autumn King carrots,Snowball turnips and ishikura spring onions,

MyAchingBack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2233 on: November 15, 2012, 07:15 »
..... just sat and enjoyed the plot and the sunshine for half an hour and it was beautiful :)

Sunshine???

allotmentann

« Reply #2234 on: November 15, 2012, 07:37 »
..... just sat and enjoyed the plot and the sunshine for half an hour and it was beautiful :)

Sunshine???

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes! I must have just timed it right, it was even fairly warm!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 34 queries.