What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

martingibson

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1830 on: July 24, 2012, 14:13 »
Removed the last of the potatoes - very sad crop. Harvested about half a carrier bag of broad beans, several courgette and a handful of raspberries. Planted some mangetout, beetroot and lettuce. A little bit of weeding before it got too hot (too hot is a strane thing to be saying)

starry

« Reply #1831 on: July 24, 2012, 14:37 »
I was on the bus to my plot at 8:45 and actually started work on it at just after 9 :10 and it was hot already "mustn't complain mustn't complain" spent some time (too long) trying to hoe up some chickweed got a lot up it was like a carpet but I expect it will still be back there growing again when I next go back !! weeded my other beds and managed to pull up a leek thinking it was a bit of long grass  :blink: oh well put it back and hope it didn't notice !
picked 1/2 a carrier bag of peas, dug up some my tatoes and 3 smallish caulis (if I didn't I have a feeling they will be no good soon) back on the bus by 10:45 phew it was hot.   :ohmy:
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

grendel

« Reply #1832 on: July 24, 2012, 14:52 »
Second good day missed, yesterday was a mammoth 15 hour trek to hospital with MIL, today I woke to an urgent work request from my boss, so 7.30 work start, now I have finished that its too hot to even think of going outside, maybe early tomorrow, though I do have a 9.30 dentist and more work to do.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #1833 on: July 24, 2012, 15:12 »
Lifted the garlic, good sized bulbs....

"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #1834 on: July 24, 2012, 17:49 »
was roasted :ohmy:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #1835 on: July 24, 2012, 18:23 »
Nice garlic there Argyllie  :D

Today I picked blighted leaves off my maincrop potatoes, and gathered a punnet of loganberries.

Beautiful and quiet down at the plot really early  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #1836 on: July 24, 2012, 18:25 »
Nice garlic there Argyllie  :D

Thanks. :D I only had my phone to hand rather than a camera and I could barely get it far enough away to be in focus properly!  :ohmy:

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1837 on: July 24, 2012, 22:25 »
Once the sun started loose it power in early evening OH and I planted out 70 leeks
which are quiet small compared to previous years but similar to others on our allotment
 site then once again we attacked the weeds and chatted to fellow plot holders which
is always a pleasant way to end the day.
Retired but never short of a job.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1838 on: July 24, 2012, 23:06 »
Another afternoon on the plot. 

Spent too much time cutting grass on plot 37.  Gave up and have left the rest for hubby.

Finished removing fruit netting and then tidied flower bed on plot 39.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Yana

« Reply #1839 on: July 24, 2012, 23:35 »
Dug up the shallots, sowed three rows of Beetroot, moved straw from under potatoes to newly built compost bin, watered leeks (planted yesterday and looking a bit dry), harvested carrots, three slightly over large courgettes, two cauliflowers, a handful of cherry toms and checked the runner beans....... Flowers but no beans.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #1840 on: July 25, 2012, 05:25 »
Nothing harvested today just watering 
Beans peas fruit bushes and toms.
Don't mind the watering as long as we keep the sunshine
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

Yana

« Reply #1841 on: July 25, 2012, 12:38 »
Agree with you John, the sunshine has brought everything to life and seems to be 'baking' the slugs. Not a bad result all round.
Dug up last of the early potatoes, picked a cabbage and kale to take to elderly mother later. Did watering and will go back this evening to pick peas.

Wellpotty1

« Reply #1842 on: July 25, 2012, 13:06 »
Tues evening ; Got to the plot and found that a neighbour had left me two gooseberry plants, so wandered around trying to decide where best to pant them. Noticed that the brassica beds have a few weeds; dock like ones with tap roots; so dug them out. Found a small bed that hadn't been cleared previously near the raspberry canes and allocated it for the gooseberrys, cleared most of it but found mares tail so just chopped it off as posts read on here say its futile to try to dig or kill it.
Exclaimed delightedly as the asparagus crowns I planted just two weeks ago are all showing spears :D Fussed over their soil & removed a few stones & rogue weeds, looking forward to cutting in a couple of years!
Was going out the gate & saw an old friend leaving her plot which is on the other side of the road in a separate site, chatted about rhubarb & raspberries etc. Lovely evening.
Kiwifruit

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1843 on: July 25, 2012, 13:53 »
such a lovely morning spent up the plots with my grandchildren picking peas and digging up spuds then they had to have there tea break and cake  :D :D
then it was on to second plot to pick raspberries and a few blue berries lettuce and radish and beetroot, before going to greenhouse to get cucumbers and toms,
they were worn out by then but they only 5years 4 years and little miley only 3 years bless em so as a treat got them ice creams on way home  :D :D
keep allotments alive grow your own

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1844 on: July 25, 2012, 15:31 »
This morning I watered all the new sowings, and refilled my waterbutts from the stand pipe while the hoses were free.

Brought the garlic home from the shed as it had dried nicely in the heat  ;) Only a few bulbs were spoilt with white rot, so I'm pleased with them overall.

Checked the potatoes, they definitely have just a few leaves with blight, but the dry weather is letting them have a little more growing time............rain forecast for the weekend, so I guess the tops will get cut off then :(

Some lovely person has strimmed the flowering tops of all the weeds on the next door 'problem' plot, and their seeding grass paths - a big Thank you - whoever you are!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2014

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

1611 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 21:59
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 33 queries.