What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

jmc1949

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1695 on: July 05, 2012, 16:08 »
Well, first thing I saw on arrival the the site was a beer can sitting on the fencing. So as I walked down the pathway between the plots, was greeted by wanton damage to 3 plots. Potatoes had been pulled up on 2 of the plots and thrown around. On my plot they had slashed the debris netting covering the roots bed and the netting on the strawberries, the blue water pipe was thrown on the next plot and debris netted brocolli bed had been demolished.

So, after reporting to the site secretary, I cleared up my plot and repaired the damage.

What a sad world we live in :(

AnneB

« Reply #1696 on: July 05, 2012, 16:46 »
It looked nice and sunny this afternoon so I went up to the plot with the intention of picking the rest of the Lady Christls and spraying the British Queens against blight, having had a warning of a Smiths period and the blobs on the blight map getting ever closer.

Got soaked to the skin.  Harvested a poor quantity of potatoes.  Had to use the blight spray as I'd made it up, even though it was now wet weather.  Well just when am I going to find a dry day?

The Uchiki Kuri planted last week to replace the Boston Squash destroyed by slugs has gone the same way. The slugs have also destroyed my third planting of carrots that had germinated too.  This is despite the beds being treated with nematodes and organic slug pellets.   The brassicas are struggling on but look well chewed.

Harvested a handful of broad beans at last, and one of the overwintering onions.  Some pods on CofE peas at last.

allotmentann

« Reply #1697 on: July 05, 2012, 18:14 »
Oh Jenny I am so sorry. It is indeed a sad world when someone finds it fun to vandalise a vegetable patch! I hope you managed to salvage something :(

jmc1949

« Reply #1698 on: July 05, 2012, 18:44 »
Oh Jenny I am so sorry. It is indeed a sad world when someone finds it fun to vandalise a vegetable patch! I hope you managed to salvage something :(

Thanks for your comments allotmentann. They left most of the plants alone, except the strawberries and brocolli and just destroyed the nettings over the raised beds. They look like they've been slashed with a knife. So I've been lucky. 2 other plotholders have had potatoes and peas pulled up and thrown around the site. It's been reported to the police and the community officer is supposed to be keeping an eye on the site!!

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1699 on: July 05, 2012, 19:07 »
ho Jenny i really dont see what these idiots get out of such wantoned damage .
 if they were ever caught and made to make it all good again , they might think twice about it ,
all the hard work and love of gardening you put into it for that to happen ,
dont let them get to you ,have done it to me four times in last three years .
keep allotments alive grow your own

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1700 on: July 05, 2012, 20:17 »
Picked some peas, strawberries and lettuces and put them all to one side, turned around and the dogs were helping themselves to the peas! Shooed them away and then they tried to pick their own :blink:
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

snowdrops

« Reply #1701 on: July 05, 2012, 20:56 »
Oh Jenny how annoying for you. It must be difficult for you to get on & clear it up. Hugs for you.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1702 on: July 05, 2012, 21:10 »

What a sad world we live in :(

>:( what a sad world indeed, sorry to hear some idiots have done that to you and your neighbours
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 21:32 by symonep »

snowdrops

« Reply #1703 on: July 05, 2012, 21:24 »
Today I decided to get on & sort out the garden,which in turn led to me taking any plants that were for the plot to the plot. They might not get planted but they'll be nearer to the compost bin & at least I can walk around the greenhouse & patio now. I chucked out my 2 mini blowaways that although were really old got wrecked in the hailstorm & loads of other rubbish. Daughter took them all to the tip + the roof tiles that got broken.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1704 on: July 05, 2012, 21:26 »
Sorry to hear about the vandalism on your plot Jenny. Touch wood we haven't had any problems on our site for a long time, despite being surrounded by a council estate with a somewhat bad reputation. Our site does involve the local community a lot though, with a school plot and disabled youngsters plot, and also regularly holds table top sales. It also helps that it's very overlooked by a block of flats with balconies lol.

Anyway, what did i do on my plot today? Took delivery of a pre-formed pond liner courtesy of freecycle and dumped it on the plot ready for digging tomorrow. Winced at the puddles of water left over from our very heavy rain this morning. Caught my neighbour using my incinerator tut tut lol. He's very welcome to. Forgot to water my toms in the poly tunnel so must get down there early in the morning. It might be very rainy but it's also very warm here in York.

Countryman_uk

« Reply #1705 on: July 05, 2012, 22:04 »
been a stunning day got up to allotment after work, stopped my broad beans as few had black fly on then, dug a few spuds up, Kestral,turned over a small area ready to replant with french beans, picked a few toms, rain forecast for rest of weekend , so doubt will be doing anything :)

Thrift

« Reply #1706 on: July 06, 2012, 07:43 »
Infuriating for you Jenny, and for the other people on your site. Such pointless destruction after so much hard work ..... as if this year's climate wasn't enough to contend with.

I have never seen blight before but am now convinced that is what attacked my crop. I cut all the tops off the potatoes in the hope of salvaging some. Horrifying to think back to the famine years and realise thhe type of devastation suffered.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1707 on: July 06, 2012, 14:59 »
The rigid pond liner I got off freecycle yesterday came in very handy on the plot today. I filled it with buckets of water from my flooded beds. :(
Looks like I might lose my brussels, beetroot and cauliflowers. Fingers crossed my cabbage roots won't rot.

I filled 30 buckets of water and there was no discernable difference to the water levels afterwards lol. On a positive note, I've not had the plot very long and the heavy rain has allowed me to gauge which parts of it are ok and which need more digging. Most of my beds are above the water level now, which they weren't when it happened earlier in the year. So all the digging I did last month has paid off. It's just annoying that the worst of the flooding is right in front of the entrance to my polytunnel and my wellies are leaking.

I gave all the tomato's a good soaking and snipped off a lot more side shoots and removed the yellowing leaves on the bottom. Strangely, the plants I grew in containers and haven't watered enough are producing the most fruit. The ones in the bottomless pots have yet to produce a single tiny green tom.

Also gave my big pot of nettles a good stir and gipped at the stench. Harvested some sugar snap peas for my tea tonight and removed a lot of slugs from the compost heap on which my courgettes are growing. They've got to be the fastest growing plant on my plot at present, but as a newbie, I planted 9 of them and am probably going to be eating courgettes every night for the rest of the year.

jmc1949

« Reply #1708 on: July 06, 2012, 14:59 »
Thanks everyone for their comments. All plotholders have now checked their plots and it appears that 5 people have had some type of vandalism including one plot where they've tried to pull apart the raised beds.  As said above, it's a hard enough summer without vandalism occurring.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1709 on: July 07, 2012, 12:15 »
Vandalsim or destructio for the sheer delight of doing such is a sad reflection on any society.

Well my problems appear to be wether related splashed up to plot this morning harvested some lettuce, strawberries, radish checked the greenhouse and left much wetter than I started.      On the weay out noticed mad old Noah well under way with his building project.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 31 queries.