What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

grendel

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1650 on: June 29, 2012, 13:42 »
another early start - off to the plot, weeded the potatoes, lifted the garlic, popped the my other half plot, the weeds there aren't so bad, but I pulled some round the potatoes, accidently pulled a potato plant so dug round and got a few spuds, no strawberries ready yet, so came home and hung the garlic.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1651 on: June 29, 2012, 14:38 »
took my granddaughter up with me she five ,took to and planted curly kale savoy cabbages and January king
picked some strawberries ,peas,carrots,and new spuds for our tea,
then sat in shed and had our lunch she was mom and handed out our drinks and food was just great to spend some time with her  :D :D :D
keep allotments alive grow your own

Paul Plots

« Reply #1652 on: June 29, 2012, 16:16 »
Not a sausage today despite good intentions to make the best of the day on the plot.

My dad's PA is unable to get here to so reliable old me is always here to take over.  :wub:

(Some days I wonder about my sister. I do have one  :unsure:)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

AnneB

« Reply #1653 on: June 30, 2012, 16:03 »
It finally stopped pouring it down, so went up this afternoon. 

Managed to plant a Uchiki Kuri squash to replace the Boston Squash eaten by the slugs, and 3 celeriac.   Noticed that the third and final sowings of carrots and beetroot in the new raised boxes have germinated.  Hooray!

About to plant more celeriac and tie up the CofE peas and do some weeding when the heavens opened again.  Got wet through running from the plot to the car (we are fairly near the entrance, so not far).  Arrived back home and it is now blue skies all the way.  I might do some pottering in the shed instead.  I just know if I go back the same thing will happen again.

jmc1949

« Reply #1654 on: June 30, 2012, 16:06 »
Dug up some garlic and potatoes. Harvested cauliflower, carrots and strawberries.

Then planted out 6 more cauliflower All-Year-Round and 10 Broad Bean, The Sutton.

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1655 on: June 30, 2012, 16:52 »
mowed the paths and edged them , put stakes round the dahlias they looking fantastic at moment , done some weeding on second plot painted store shed on second plot ,had few cups of tea with fellow plot holders

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1656 on: June 30, 2012, 17:11 »
Tackling the plot tomorrow but at home, strimmed the bit of lawn the chickens have left me (was too long for the mower  ::) ), then replanted the raised beds at home.

Thought the existing crops had been decimated by slugs and weather, but have harvested a good haul of shallots, spring onions and mangetout, plus picked a load of strawberries with slug nibbled ones to keep the chickens happy  :)  

Planted out from seed sown modules - more spring onions, beetroot, parsley, dwarf beans and chard.  Also planted a Dudhi pumpkin which has found its way to me from Prakash via Sunshineband  :), white ridge cucumber (keep your fingers crossed for seeds Sunny), gerkin and green ridge cucumber.  

Potted on red cabbage - another gift from Sunny - plus January King cabbage and black kale.  Trying to get them a bit bigger to stand a chance against the plot slugs before I plant them out  ::)

grendel

« Reply #1657 on: June 30, 2012, 17:38 »
Took the fixed strimmer up the plot, got half way up the path, and suddenly with a clunk lost my drive again, - oh no I thought, my repair has failed- spent a further half hour rough cutting with the shears, then came home, on dissasembly the gearbox I fixed is still working fine, so whats wrong now?
Grendel

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #1658 on: June 30, 2012, 19:57 »
Pulled some radish did a bit of weeding checked on my peas but still filling out lots of pods to pick in a weeks time .
Gave the tommatoes a feed (planted in the garden) both have fruit on and plenty of flowers .
Started to prepairing area to plant out leeks that are in a seed bed now starting to thicken up.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1659 on: July 01, 2012, 00:30 »
Six hours on the plot... loads of weeding and digging to clear an old brassica bed ready for leeks (better late than never).

Pushed the mower a mile there and then a mile back but it was quicker than cutting the paths with the push mower.

(A pleasant break from routine although my parents weren't so keen on my absence for so long)

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #1660 on: July 01, 2012, 01:00 »
strimmed the paths, planted out the runners sown in modules (all the seeds planted direct just seem to have rotted in the wet weather), and was pleasantly surprised at the re-appearance of the people 2 plots down (first time this year) to deal with their 6 foot high weeds.... now if only the direct neighbours would do the same :-)
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #1661 on: July 01, 2012, 13:18 »
Lifted the first lady Christl of this year, 11 weeks excatly after they were planted. Replaced slug damaged purple and green climbing french bean plants and put copper rings around them. Planted out courgettes and rainbow chard and the one remaining cucumber plant into the polytunnel.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1662 on: July 01, 2012, 13:21 »
I'm off to cut the grass and tidy the flower beds at my parents old bungalow.... presently sitting empty.

(Bored in retirement? Fat chance!!  ::))

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #1663 on: July 01, 2012, 13:22 »
I'm off to cut the grass

If the sun dries things out enough here, that job might be possible too. :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #1664 on: July 01, 2012, 17:30 »
I'm off to cut the grass and tidy the flower beds at my parents old bungalow.... presently sitting empty.

Grass cut, mowings and old wallflowers loaded into the trailer and pedalled home.

Now to nip over the road and sort out the dinner.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 33 queries.