What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #1155 on: May 07, 2012, 08:29 »
Seed sowing; Swede "Marian" ; Turnips "Giant Limousan" ; Root Parsley "Orbis" and Rampion, or at least I think I've sown the Rampion - seeds like talcum powder!  :D Can see why it became less fashionable!

grendel

« Reply #1156 on: May 07, 2012, 12:41 »
yay finally after what seems like forever - I got down to both my plots this morning, considering last time I got down there several weeks ago now when I rotovated, I was lucky so few weeds had grown. sowed peas and beans at both  half plots, 10 rows planted at each plot, 400 ft of peas and beans planted, sticks and supports will get put up as I get time and the plants come through.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1157 on: May 07, 2012, 12:52 »
pricked out forty lavender plants and flowers for her ladyship  well must keep them happy as spend so much time at the allotments  ::) ::) ::)
planted out some more pea's and french beans under cover ,ridged up spuds yet again they like this rain ,more than me at moment ,then made a brew funny how as soon as kettle went on all come to have a chat or is it just to get out of rain in my shed  anyway was fun. :D :D
keep allotments alive grow your own

allotment-bill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1158 on: May 07, 2012, 13:01 »
 400 ft of peas and beans planted, sticks and supports will get put up as I get time and the plants come through.
Grendel

hi there Grendel you doing well there carry on and you be taking on the pea god :wub: :D

mattwragg94

« Reply #1159 on: May 07, 2012, 13:31 »
just been to B&Q to get some compost - whilst i was there i noticed that they had reduce all of their strawbs - and they all looked healthy with flower buds - so i got 6 (3 alpine and 3 of another variety) -

but it gets better they had trays of 6 mixed pepper plants - reduced from £5 to £1 - had a rummage and found one tray of 6 that said reduced to 20P - so i grabbed it - and this is where i got a tad cheeky i swapped all the bad plants with the better ones from different trays :ohmy: so in total ive got 6 great pepper plants for 20p and 6 strawbs in bud for £3 :D

AnneB

« Reply #1160 on: May 07, 2012, 14:39 »
Went up to the plot and planted out our Autumn Bliss raspberries, now that OH finished digging out and sifting the soil for the bed.  Rather late I know, but they have been resting in earth at home and not dried out, so hopefully OK.

OH did some more soil sifting on a small patch of ground the other side of the footpath from the raspberries.  I started digging out some ground where my new wooden crates are going to rest on, just so the weeds don't start to compete.

Dug out some more horsetail from this year's pea and bean bed.

Will do some potting on this afternoon.

mattwragg94

« Reply #1161 on: May 07, 2012, 18:11 »
Ive just this minute made rhubarb and ginger jam (from vals recipe) and it tastes delish! :D

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1162 on: May 07, 2012, 18:23 »
Planted out broad beans and some more peas from the greenhouse. Pricked out lettuce into modules and netted up one of my raised beds so I can plant out my brocoli in a couple of weeks
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

alimilly

• Life and Love of the Millys
« Reply #1163 on: May 07, 2012, 19:01 »
Finished stringing the Munty Frame,  put together brassica protection with debris netting, canes and tennis balls,  planted some gladioli and dahlia bulbs and a general tidy up.   A lovely day at the plot!

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1164 on: May 07, 2012, 19:03 »
dug out the bed I plan to put my runner beans in eventually and added lots of compost, a bit of sand because it's very clay'y, some blood fish and bone and for good measure , chucked some chicken manure pellets in. Put a mini polytunnel over it to start warming the soil up.

Covered one of the shed windows with some strong plastic to keep the rain out. Waited patiently for the 3rd time for the man to come and felt my shed roof. He didn't turn up but fingers crossed it will all be done when I arrive tomorrow. If not I'll do it myself.

Met my plot neighbour for the first time and had a chat with her about my polytunnel and I agreed to move it further away from her plot (my suggestion not hers) as it might shade the decking area where she likes to sit. So my job for tomorrow is to get rid of the turf in the new location and dig a trench.

Am currently sat looking at the homebase website for ideas of paint colours for the shed. No boring brown for me. Was contemplating something stripey and possibly pink!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #1165 on: May 07, 2012, 19:47 »
I went to the plot on my own purely to harvest some salads today, although I could have stayed all day, it was so lovely up there (and a treat without the children as much as I adore them both!). 

It was really busy full of newbies trying to get their plots straight.  I bumped into a plot neighbour and offered to loan our pushalong mower to him so he could tidy up his paths. 

Trying to get the mower out of the shed, I almost impaled my leg on one of the border forks when it fell off the hanging storage - although I had trousers on, it broke the skin and has subsequently developed a bruise.  It reminded me my tetanus is probably out of date!

Am currently sat looking at the homebase website for ideas of paint colours for the shed. No boring brown for me. Was contemplating something stripey and possibly pink!

Lucky you that you have a choice - brown or natural green are the only acceptable colours at our site!  I have painted mine a blue-green leek green!  I would have gone for something more outrageous if I had had the chance!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 19:53 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

snowdrops

« Reply #1166 on: May 07, 2012, 21:04 »
Since Friday I've rotovated the end of bed 1 & gone over bed 2 to get rid of annual weeds. Planted 30 Wilja seed potatoes,10 Edzell blue. Put another path down at the other side of the raspberries,re - sited some of the raspberries.so their not on the path edge.
At home I re- potted all the early sown tomatoes in to their final pots & moved on all the other toms. Gave the lawn a really good cut. Just ready to go back to work tomorrow :ohmy:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ratherangelic

« Reply #1167 on: May 07, 2012, 23:00 »
Yesterday was quite productive....We planted our onions out, dug the bed where the brassicas are going to be, nearly finished clearing what used to be the herb bed, started clearing a bed which has been sat under tarpaulin for a month and located some strawberry plants and moved them.

Today my OH put new felt on the roof of the shed as it's been leaking with all this rain....fingers crossed this has worked and it will start to dry out as squelching underfoot in the shed is not nice.  Then we went and bought some more strawberry plants and planted them next to the ones we had found and covered the strawberry bed with some black weed control.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1168 on: May 08, 2012, 03:31 »
Sowed spring onions, potted on more marigolds, transplanted lettuce, potted on courgettes and butternut squash.... inbetween showers.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1169 on: May 08, 2012, 14:39 »
carried on moving stuff from old plot to new plot. Wished the neighbour who I took this plot on with could help a bit more. She likes to do the fun stuff like sowing seeds, whereas I seem to get landed with all the digging and carting stuff about. I've got 20 wooden pallets to carry to the plot later so that I can make a start on fencing it off.

Came home after being approached by the man who put my shed up and asked for more money. I don't owe him it. I paid him the agreed amount when the shed arrived and he's just trying it on, but it made me feel uncomfortable and my plan to go back later today is now scuppered because I don't want to get into an argument. I'll check with his boss before parting with anymore cash.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 32 queries.