What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #765 on: April 02, 2012, 23:46 »
Refreshed the compost in the bath, the old stuff went into the big veg bed and I raked that over.
Sowed parsley, edible leaf carrot and rainbow carrot into the new compost, idea being that the parsley should help keep carrot fly away with it's scent and I can harvest that for the bunrabs.
Sowed lettuce (dregs of the seed from last year), perpetual spinach and swiss chard. The spinach was from more veg so a small quantity and I sowed all the spinach seed on half a row, maybe not sowed finely enough.  :dry:
Noted that my fenugreek seed and rocket seed has germinated.  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #766 on: April 03, 2012, 08:10 »
Sorry - have have to say it now, before there's a problem.

Parsley, far from deterring carrot fly, is from the same family as carrots and is also prone to it,  so you've actually added an attraction.

If you put "carrot fly parsley" into Google, you'll find a lot of hits that say parsley is prone to them. Here's one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/pests_and_diseases/identifier.shtml?carrot_fly
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Schubunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #767 on: April 03, 2012, 09:42 »
Sorry - have have to say it now, before there's a problem.

Parsley, far from deterring carrot fly, is from the same family as carrots and is also prone to it,  so you've actually added an attraction.

If you put "carrot fly parsley" into Google, you'll find a lot of hits that say parsley is prone to them. Here's one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/advice/pests_and_diseases/identifier.shtml?carrot_fly

Bah, i was a bit worried that maybe I'd got my herbs mixed up. I guess I'll have to net them as well.

poacher

« Reply #768 on: April 03, 2012, 15:10 »
hi all,i had a few jobs to do today but the weather put pay to it once again,i had planned to plant some stuff out but it was snowing and sleeting so i retreated to my shed and lit my hobo stove up to warm up a bit.i made my mind up that i wasnt going to stayat the lotty for long so decided to have a cuppa then back off home where it was  warmer and more comfortable,heres a pic of me stove which comes in handy on the colder days and does a good job at boiling the kettle at the same time hehe.
001_renamed_27128.jpg
005_renamed_15216.jpg

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #769 on: April 03, 2012, 15:38 »
hi all,i had a few jobs to do today but the weather put pay to it once again,i had planned to plant some stuff out but it was snowing and sleeting so i retreated to my shed and lit my hobo stove up to warm up a bit.i made my mind up that i wasnt going to stayat the lotty for long so decided to have a cuppa then back off home where it was  warmer and more comfortable,heres a pic of me stove which comes in handy on the colder days and does a good job at boiling the kettle at the same time hehe.

cool stove that. how do you make it ?

desperate weather here today, so i will just pop up later on to throw a bit of cover over my young meteor pea seedlings.
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

poacher

« Reply #770 on: April 03, 2012, 16:26 »
@ richrua,rich they are easy to make,all you need is 2x large catering size bean tins and 3 normal size bean or tomato tins.  type (rocket stove)into youtube and it shows you how to make various models and sizes of the stove. cheers!

grendel

« Reply #771 on: April 03, 2012, 18:19 »
nothing on the plot, but since I was in france this morning I bought some french varieties of pea, bean, shallot and onion sets, plus some lettuce and carrot seeds, lets see how they manage over here.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #772 on: April 03, 2012, 18:54 »
nothing on the plot, but since I was in france this morning I bought some french varieties of pea, bean, shallot and onion sets, plus some lettuce and carrot seeds, lets see how they manage over here.
Grendel

Sounds like one of those "my satnav doesn't always get it right" sagas!  ::)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

poacher

« Reply #773 on: April 03, 2012, 19:32 »
Grendel
wished id known you were going to france grendel,you could have brought me some turner baccy back  :D

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #774 on: April 03, 2012, 19:56 »
Built a new double nesting box with perch above & fitted another perch (branch) to the outside run on the hens enclosure.

grendel

« Reply #775 on: April 04, 2012, 09:06 »
no it wasnt a mistake, awake at 2am, off to dover for the 4:20 am ferry to calais, arrive at about 7am french time, drive to bape griz blank to watch the sun rise, then to Auchan for 8am opening, a couple of hours shopping then back to the ferry to catch the 12.35 ferry home, home by 1pm and a quick drive home, then a couple hours kip to catch up on the day. this morning my wife told me about the cycle trailer she saw for E50, but forgot to tell me, would have been so good for cycling down to the plot.
Grendel

grendel

« Reply #776 on: April 04, 2012, 14:36 »
Ah went to the plot today, both halves, rotovated, and then planted about a kilo of onions, ans a row of shallots.
down the second half plot planted the rest of the onions, and 2 rows of runner beans, and 2 rows of cherokee beans.

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #777 on: April 04, 2012, 14:56 »
Managed to plant a couple of rows of spuds before the (very welcome) rain came and drenched me for a second day. Shetland Blacks, Valour, Picasso and made a start on the Kestrel. It's really persistently raining here!  :D

Dom2599

« Reply #778 on: April 04, 2012, 16:34 »
Went down the plot to find my greenhouse totally demolished from the winds last night ???

snowdrops

« Reply #779 on: April 04, 2012, 16:42 »
Went down the plot to find my greenhouse totally demolished from the winds last night ???

Oh that's a b*gger. Was it a glass one?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 33 queries.