What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #660 on: March 25, 2012, 07:53 »
Massive day today - 8 hours digging deep, removing all perennial and bad weeds and levelling. Then laying fabric and planted half the strawberries..   My back is aching now..

8 hours digging  :ohmy:  My back is aching in sympathy Gavin  :blink:   :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #661 on: March 25, 2012, 09:29 »
Yesterday I took eight bucket of stones out of the bed where I am going to sow parsnips and carrots this year.

Probably not enough to avoid any forked roots. but it's a start!!

Back of my legs ache this morning, I can tell you  :ohmy: :blink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #662 on: March 25, 2012, 10:38 »
My back and legs are 'having a grumble' cos I moved the 3 carrot tubs to a different place yesterday  ::)

I was going to plant some potatoes, but I think pottering is more the order of the day :dry:
Still lots to do  :)

CaroleG

• Grow, Cook, Eat It Blog
« Reply #663 on: March 25, 2012, 12:19 »
now that you can see the plot properly, it's scared me a little with how big it is!

I bet once you get started though you'll soon be thinking you need more space  :)

Kim50

« Reply #664 on: March 25, 2012, 13:24 »
Nothing on the plot today..popped down there yesterday afternoon to find quite a few neighbours working...myself i am an early bird..prefer to be there first thing in the morning...avoiding the chatters, while i enjoy a good chat, not much gets done...  :tongue2:

did manage to wash around 200 pots this morning...and the first of the season mowing of the lawn..happy days..

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #665 on: March 25, 2012, 13:32 »
This morning I was mostly digging - far more than was sensible probably as feeling a bit creaky now  ::)  :lol:

Picked rhubarb for me and some bolting kale for the chickens.  They've eaten theirs already  :D

jmc1949

« Reply #666 on: March 25, 2012, 18:06 »
Not on the plot today, worked on the garden.
OH cut the grass cut front and back garden. Garden swing and benches are now in position.

I swept the patios areas (they still need power washing), then planted up a small tub of strawberries. Potted on French Marigolds (about 80), sowed Cucumber, Courgettes, Lettuce, Rocket, Radish and Spring Onion.

Put deep pots in place in the greenhouse ready for the Tomatoes, Peppers and Chillies.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 19:37 by jmc1949 »

grendel

« Reply #667 on: March 25, 2012, 18:40 »
didnt get to the plot in the end, but did rotovate my (76 year old) dads back garden ready for him to plant his veg, he had managed a couple of feet of digging (in a couple of days) but since my mum had a hip replacement at Christmas (at 85 years old) he has been doing a lot of other jobs round the house, so is worn out. Thus I took the rotovator over and rotovated his nice weed free veg beds in about 20 minutes, at least now all he has to do is throw the seeds in.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #668 on: March 25, 2012, 19:21 »
First day on our new plot today. I dug out one raised bed and added manure, cleaned the shed out and started off the compost heap, all whilst supervising a 14 yr old who is never happier than when he's breaking or setting fire to things. Thank heavens he's at school all week from tomorrow.
Met a few neighbours, one of whom has offered us a couple of fruitbushes. Something exotic that's a cross between a gooseberry and a blackcurrant, but I forget what it's called. (edited to add: i think it's a jostaberry)
Back home for a long soak in the bath but I just know my muscles are going to ache tomorrow lol.

Oh and I also had my first ever wee in a compost toilet, which our site has.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 19:26 by yorkiegal »

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #669 on: March 25, 2012, 19:31 »
Had loads to do - but it was that nice i coudnt be bothered today!!!  :tongue2:

So instead went to the garden centre, queued outside in the car to get in and bought some ily bulbs and dahlias they had reduced to half price and a load of perennias (was like a kid in a sweet shop!!!)

Came home, had a beer and then regretted not doing anything. But with the clocks going forward i can actually start doing some after work now.

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #670 on: March 25, 2012, 19:47 »
Aw grendel bet he was pleased  :)

Ive just sent the hubby to the lotty to do some watering for me, Im a bit miserable that I couldnet get down there to check out me seedlings, but Ive overdone things and have exacerbated an injury  :(

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #671 on: March 25, 2012, 19:54 »
Finished planting the strawberries. Prepared the potato patch with manure and potato fertilizer.. Dug and planted 3 rows. Watered all the plantings so far. Strawberries, onions, broad beans, garlic, compost heap and raspberries.
IMG_0353 _rs.jpg
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 19:58 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

grendel

« Reply #672 on: March 25, 2012, 19:55 »
Aw grendel bet he was pleased  :)
Well he has always been active and still goes swimming once every week to do his 40 lengths, but I think with mum being ill he has suddenly realised that he too is no spring chicken, and I think thats taken a bit of the wind out of his sails. Still in a way h was pleased, but did look a bit crestfallen that now its done he has no excuse not to get his onions planted.
Grendel

AnneB

« Reply #673 on: March 25, 2012, 19:57 »
Digging, digging and more digging at the bottom of the allotment we didn't touch last year.   Pulling out vast quantities of glass, old rubbish and the inevitable horsetail.
Took the netting off the shallots now they are established.

PupStar

« Reply #674 on: March 25, 2012, 20:01 »
Yesterday we managed to rotovate 3/4 of the plot and even though mechanical aid was used my back still ached last night  :wacko:

Today before I got to the plot I had to slap the first coat of paint on the lounge wall (not walls as only got 1 wall done urgh)

Then it was off into town to buy some chilli and sweet pepper seeds that are now germinating on the window sill in the kitchen (hopefully)

After that I managed to get to the lotty and knock seven shades out of some pallets that I made into a nice raised bed.

But my crowning glory for today was instead of taking our old spare single bed to the tip. I ripped all the fabric off it and added some extra lats to the sides and will now get some polythene sheeting to staple to the sides and make a lid and hey presto instant cold frame  :D

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 10:39
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 31 queries.