What I did on the plot today - 2012

• 2319 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2012
« Reply #540 on: March 12, 2012, 07:14 »
:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

CaroleG

• Grow, Cook, Eat It Blog
« Reply #541 on: March 12, 2012, 09:12 »
I planted 150 peas (Lincoln), so nice to be planting instead of weeding. I gave the autumn planted broad beans a severe talking to, they got really hammered by the snow & crazy cold snap a few weeks ago (it got down to -10 at the allotment). I gave them notice that if they don't buck their ideas up they'll be compost by the end of the week :)

fuzzy

« Reply #542 on: March 12, 2012, 09:42 »
I planted 150 peas (Lincoln), so nice to be planting instead of weeding. I gave the autumn planted broad beans a severe talking to, they got really hammered by the snow & crazy cold snap a few weeks ago (it got down to -10 at the allotment). I gave them notice that if they don't buck their ideas up they'll be compost by the end of the week :)

lol!

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #543 on: March 12, 2012, 11:37 »
Rotorvated (sp?) the beds, added chicken manure where the potatoes will go, sowed parsnips and early nantes, put in onion sets, built the veg table for salad in the garden at home.

Woodhousemoor

« Reply #544 on: March 12, 2012, 15:00 »
Collected a greenhouse I got from freecycle, and put it in place at plot. Also built more raised beds repotted my chilies.   
Dig it!!!! ♥♥ :)

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #545 on: March 12, 2012, 15:03 »
Planted onion and shallot sets. Dug up some more rubble and brick from the undug part and took off more grass, nearly all clear now so just digging left.
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

jrko

« Reply #546 on: March 12, 2012, 17:10 »
brought my fruit bush collection from home and left if water overnight before planting.

Went to have a look a pair of 12ft indoor goalposts I one on freecycle.  They should make a pretty good frame for netting over my fruit!!  Just got to get them to the plot  :blink:
Hello.  My name is James, the builder of Evil Shed mkII and The Greenhouse of Doom.  Please enjoy the madness of my Plot Diary here:
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=107298.0

mattwragg94

« Reply #547 on: March 12, 2012, 18:58 »
mowed the neighbours lawn. put some chicket pellets and BFB on the beds. planted my pea and onion plants into their final position, planted up toms. sowed basil,spring onions, aubs, little gem lettuce and peas.   

fuzzy

« Reply #548 on: March 12, 2012, 19:22 »
phew! i managed to take my little one there. He was happy with his little spade and bucket but could not get to grips walking around on uneven ground lol. I removed most of the big stones that i saw. I saw some other allotments where people havent really removed stones so i didnt know whether it made a big difference to whether i removed them or not.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #549 on: March 12, 2012, 20:46 »

Spent the morning weeding the flower beds.Planted 4 asparagus that someone gave me

poacher

« Reply #550 on: March 12, 2012, 20:51 »
i finished the last of the work that needed to be done to repair my greenhoos today,so i set some leek seeds away and pricked some onions off into bigger pots,now i can relax and take it easy now the greenhoos is sorted.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #551 on: March 12, 2012, 21:10 »
cleaned the greenhouse and sorted my pots and washed them.  sat on the floor and thought of this years planting plan, did some drawing and time plans .... then did some more tidying to distract me from planting my courgettes and onions!!!
put a clouch on my strawberries and hand weeded my raspberry canes and sprinkled some growmore, ground seem a little to cold to mulch just yet!
while i was busy my lovely 21mth old decided to empty my two types of peas into my seed box .... so now i have no idea what is what .... a nice surprise early pea or snap when they grow. i assume that they can be treated and both eaten the same way  :blink:
glad now i havent planted anything out it forecast snow next week here   :(
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

ferret1988

« Reply #552 on: March 12, 2012, 22:11 »
dug some weeds, re raked the soil, fed the hens and sowed some sunflowers and sweetcorn also water the broad beans runner beans and peas which are all germinating lovely in the greenhouse :)

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #553 on: March 13, 2012, 11:24 »
OK, this last weekend was the first really busy weekend...

1. rebuilt my lean-to greenhouse, which had had all the (plastic) glass blown out over the winter, and had bent into a rather un-square shape.

2. planted out the last of my strawberries that I got from runners last year

3. planted out some raspberry canes I got cheap at the garden centre. Not sure if they will work, as cheap usually means "too late"!

4. planted my first pots of herbs and salad leaves

5. planted two apple tree "sticks", also cheap (from Lidl) and also probably won't work!!

6. Fetched two car fulls of horse manure from a local stables to mix in with beds and my home-made compost.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #554 on: March 13, 2012, 12:14 »
Decided to tackle some of the overgrown marginal plants in my goldfish pond - needed a saw to cut back the water irises which are now lying in a stinking heap of pond mud and other lord-knows-what that I fished out by hand. Yuk!

Can confirm that although showing only 10C it felt really hot in the sun, but that the pond water definitely didn't!  :wacko:

No frog spawn yet, if that doesn't change I will have mixed feelings - in previous years I've had enormous problems trying to keep the fish away from the poor tadpoles.  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post May 17, 2024, 14:01
by vikingraider
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 33 queries.